• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Germany was East and West posted by greysoldier

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Collecting coins from a country that is no longer there.

I am referring to the late Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), also known as the German Democratic Republic (GDR) or for those of us that remember ~ simply East Germany. Having been in "Munchen" on the day that the Berlin Wall fell probably explains some of my numismatic compulsion. Please enjoy the attached image a 10 mark commemorative from that different time and place.

10898.jpg

See more journals by greysoldier

I was stationed in West Germany for 3 years( NATO forces). When it was east and west but this was quite a bit earlier than when you were there. We (my section) would run patrols along the Iron Curtain for one month out of the year. (the Iron Curtain was much more than a fence but the general populace is unaware of all that it entailed) It was a rotating TDY. Our base was the German kaserne in Coburg

(Munich) Munchen was always a favorite to visit especially during Oktoberfest, What a party !!!!! Made it there in 74 and 75. I'd say Oktoberfest, and Carnival in Rio and New Orleans are the top 3 places to party. Have yet to make Carnival in Rio but maybe one day.

Oh and by the way great coin !!!!! thanks for bringing back the memories as well.

Mike (moondoggy)

I used to have a fairly large number of East and West Germany commemoratives 10 and 5 silver marks. They wree all very attractive on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

Later,

Malcolm

Another very nice coin greysoldier! I don't have a lot of East German yet, as I mostly specialize in Imperial Germany and Third Reich at the moment but once my sets in those areas are more matured, I'd love to do some sort of East German project. I'm considering doing an East German Muldenhutten mint set but your coin, and some others I've seen on here, is causing me to give some consideration to the commemoratives as well. Both German states made some truly stunning commemoratives! No offense to the collectors of US Commemoratives on here is meant by this, but the United States could really take some lessons in producing beautiful modern commems from Germany.