• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting ED

11 posts in this topic

The attached reverse image is of BB-93, one of three ED's whose only known reverse die state contains a massive crack.

BB-64 (1796 Bol.6, SmDt-LgLt) is an R.8 variety, with 3 known. It too has a massive vertical die crack at around the same location as BB-93, except that it is more of a line than an arc. As expected, this reverse die was used only with this die marriage.

BB-93 (1798 Bol.5), this variety, is an R.6 variety whose obv die is a Knob 9 variety. This exact specimen is ex Cardinal. This specimen is possibly the 2nd finest known. As with BB-64, the reverse die was used only with this die marriage.

BB-168 (1799 Bol.22) is the final variety. Its reverse die crack is horizontal. This variety is considered to be R.5 by the JRCS, but many feel that this variety is possibly even a high R.3. According to my notes, this reverse die also was used with only this die marriage. This is kind of a surprise to me, since this is considered, at best, to be an R.5 (31 to 80 specimens extant, or thereabouts). That's quite a number for that kind of a failure. Currently, Harry Laibstain Rare Coins has a specimen in their inventory.

Grading these specimens is pretty hard because the early and massive die failure will cause detail loss during the striking process.

EVP

589a8aac1e2dd_86539-BB-93rev.JPG.1a9578a4ef75f8b372532b2236ddb3e8.JPG

Boy, this is a rough crowd...

For all the talk of how this site is more numismatically curious, the site across the street exhibited far more curiosity for my post.

Well, maybe I'll have some more interesting ones when I return from FUN. (I'm leaving Monday morning!)

EVP

So does the die crack increase the value of the coin compared to the others without the crack?

Yes and no, but in general, no.

Many people like BB-168 for the die crack. It's cool. It's interesting. But, these coins are rare anyway. For these specific varieties, a pre-crack version would be even more spectacular.

Across the street, Cardinal just posted a BB-93 specimen that is pre-crack. Its provenance traces back to Spies.

EVP

"But, these coins are rare anyway. For these specific varieties, a pre-crack version would be even more spectacular."

Sounds like my Minuteman coin especially on a proof.

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

I'm considering nightly reports, but that means I've to bring my laptop and pay for the connect-time charges. (I'm cheap.)

I'm more concerned about being to access my email!

EVP