• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1847-O Half

5 posts in this topic

So, recently I pulled a few raw coins out of the SDB to look at them again. Most were bought on eBay several years ago when I first started collecting, and as you might expect, a number of them have problems-- usually cleaning. This half is a coin that had such potential, until someone decided to improve the obv. prooflike fields by giving them a good wipe-- ruining the PL character. If only it were like the reverse!

Anyway, I was looking at the big photos on photobucket and noticed a strange hornlike shape on the rock above the 4. A misplaced digit? I checked the online copy of the Wiley-Bugert book at Stella Coin news (not the latest edition) and discovered it is a die chip, but also a marker for the doubled date variety, WB-103, which at that time they rated as an R-6 in XF-AU. The obv. die was repolished as it was paired with a succession of rev. dies, and this coin does not show the full doubling, but traces are visible around the 8, 4, and 7 with good light and more magnification.

Live and learn.

seatedhalf1847-Orev.jpg

seatedhalf1847-Oobv.jpg

The toning has nothing to do with it. The "horn" is a raised lump, rounded at the bottom and pointed at the top, directly above the 4.

It's definitely the diagnostic die lump, and I can see the traces of the date doubling.

Glad I'm going through this stuff-- found 3 coins have pvc and 1 in an old soft flip!

Also some nice stuff I didn't realize I had, like an MS 1921 Peace that I thought was AU.