• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Rush

5 posts in this topic

... or just when I thought I would never have gold coins!

Coin Journal for the week of 03/12/2012 through 03/18/2012

This has been a crazy week, indeed. I spend a lot of time looking through auctions all over the country... the internet is a wonderful tool. I found many coin auctions, but I know that there would be competition for anything of real value. So, I turned my gaze to other venues, ones where you'd never think to find coins, and literally stuck gold.

This weeks treasures include:

1909 $2.5 Indian Head

1909 $2.5 Indian Head

1849 $1 Liberty Head

1851 $1 Liberty Head

Small Hoard Buffalo Nickels

1916-1919 Merc Dimes

2009 DCT American Samoa Clad in PF70UC

Small Hoard of BU Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys

Many of these I found out in the field, and at amazing prices. The weeks I have spent digging up the small, out of the way venues has really started to pay off. I not only started up some great new relationships, but got some amazing bargains as well.

The Mint has released a new product, the 2012 Birth Year set, a sort of truncated version of the proof set. I ordered several of these and will send them in to NGC for grading. I'll let you know how that turns out in a later journal.

The first batch of coins for my Numismatic Geneaology custom set has finally made it through the NCS pipline and has been transferred to NGC for grading. I'm happy that all coins made it through the conservation process (none returned) and look forward to getting them back home soon. Of course I will share when they do.

I also received my Star Spangled Banner proofs and MS coins from the mint... how beautiful they are in hand! They were immediately sent to NGC for grading, along with several other coins that I think will grade high. This is my first attempt to pre-grade, and know it will be a learning experience. Lets see how close I come!

This weeks picture is of the latest addition to my Top Pop Roosie Set.

Thanks for reading, and I will see you fellow coin warriors in the trenches!

10894.jpg

See more journals by SPHansen

SP, The new additions sound swell and I am interested in seeing the coins you sent to NCS after they return. A before and after will be mostly appreciated. Your 1991 proof does not have the UC look but that may just be the lighting.

Good luck on those grades------Rick

Thanks for the quality info. I learn something new each time I read these posts.

I have to agree with you about finding good stuff in the most out-of-the-way venues. Here is my lasted adventure:

Yesturday, at our local post office, I heard the teller talking to another employee that he would find someone who might want to buy old silver coins. I heard those magic words even thou I am partially deaf.

Turns out this young lady had twenty-five silver quarters dating from WWII era to the early 1960s. Knowing she needed $$$ and that I was once in her place once, I picked them all up at a very reasonable price to benifit her and myself.

As I was leaving her apartment she said that she has old large coins she received from her grandfather just before he passed, some twenty years ago. About seventy-five to hundred of them.

Do you think I should take a look at these old large coins that she has in storage? :makepoint:

Thanks again and best wishes,

Jack

Looking doesn't cost anything... and you never know what you will find!

Just stopped in a small junk shop in this SMALL town... picked up a Dansco Album full of Kennedy Halves, and two NGC slabs (43 Steel in MS64 and 43 P nickel in MS64) for $50 total... can't beat that with a stick!