• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Swap Out-NGC Coin replacing PCGS posted by hunter's gold

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1992D MS68RD

Hi Everyone. Just added this NGC MS68RD 1992D to my Lincoln Memorial Collection and yes it did replace a PCGS coin of the same grade. The PCGS coin went into one of my other sets so I do still own the original coin. Being a member of the Collector Society it is a goal to own a pure NGC set for this site. Not sure if NGC will eventually remove PCGS US coins from our registry sets and even if they did I would still be ok with it. I was also fortunate to be the runner up in this past weeks Numismatic Trivia contest against some amazing and knowledgeable collectors and will attach a picture of what I won. Pretty cool. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

10886.JPG

See more journals by hunter's gold

Well, I can't get the note I won from this week trivia contest. In the meantime, here is a picture of the NGC MS68RD 1986D I just added as a replacement coin. the PCGS example has gone into one of my other sets.

123730.jpg.51fe08b77db8fe0a9b927a5a56e3befa.jpg

I have noticed the trend lately of U S coins getting swapped out for holders. I can't believe that the club has come to this idea that it is necessary to purchase coins they already own for the graded holders instead of adding to their collections.

We are actually not going anywhere due to the fact that we enjoy being a part of this community.Some of the people in this club are far more higher on my mental friends list than others I see every day.

I say add to your collection first and stop worrying about what has not come about. This has nothing intended with Hunter as I have had a few conversations this past week with him and I think he is a swell guy. I just have this feeling to express a little and even though I have PCGS slabs I am more interested in getting the other coins I really want. Of course I will search for NGC "just in case". But to double what I own "on an assumption" and miss out on what I really could acquire-----NO WAY!!!

Happy Coin Collecting

I whole-heartedly support your idea. I just purchased a 1991 D NGC to replace a PCGS example in the same grade. Just as you did, I will move the PCGS coin to another set. My main set will eventually be all NGC. I will try to load the purchase and picture tomorrow. You are not alone in your strategy.

Agreed. I too have the same strategy. Some I've replaced through grading and sold the PCGS equivalent and others I've swapped out due to bad grading on the part of PCGS.

I disliked the 73 P MS 66 FB PCGS coin I had in my Roosevelt set, because it wasn't FB... It was really just an ordinary coin, as the lower bands were not split fully from east to west. They were seperated, but they fell short on both east and west sides of the torch by about 10% on the west and an astounding 20% or so to the east.

I bought an NGC replacement from an Ebay seller and compared the two and while the bands are a little on the weak side they are exactly what I would expect of a FT designation, besides the fact that I like the NGC slab better...

Here is another picture of one more swap out from this week. The PCGS coin was placed in another set and stays in my PCGS registry set. Just waiting for this example of a NGC MS67RD 1976 Lincoln Memorial to clear ownership before adding it to my set.

123760.jpg.7ff8aa4ecde64ef58ea217180d4f297d.jpg