• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Common Date MS60 Peace Rainbow - Asking Price: $2650.00

44 posts in this topic

Pretty coin. MS60 is a harsh grade.

If you do think it is worth half that it does not much matter if you are interested. Do you think you can get him down over half even with a package deal?

With no more toning than there is on the obverse I would want to go over $350. I would be afraid to crack out in fear of the feared .91

Yep... same coin. He's buried in it and he knows it. Thats why the asking price is so high.

Its actually a little more colorful in hand...

Not a harsh grade... in person the obverse (cheek) is kinda baggy. Maybe a 62 on a wing and prayer.

It looks very nice and not even remotely MS60....at least by the photos.

$2650? I wouldn't pay that but who knows? Of course, I'm not a big fan of Peace Dollars to begin with so take that with a grain....

jom

I would prefer if the toning on the reverse were more uniform, but overall I like the coin. With this said, I would not pay the asking price or even half of the asking price. The most I would be willing to pay on this (and this is if I absolutely couldn't live without out) is around $350-$400.

Also, as was indicated by Jom, the coin looks better than MS60, which usually means one of two things: either the coin is heavily bag marked (most TPGs rarely use the MS60-MS61, and when they do the coin is usually pretty scarred up) or the coin was silently net graded for a problem. Based on the photograph, I'm leaning towards the latter. There are significant scuffs on Miss Liberty's neck, and I am thinking that the coin would have been placed in a genuine holder if it weren't for the toning (the graders have been known to do this in the past with better coins).

I would prefer if the toning on the reverse were more uniform, but overall I like the coin. With this said, I would not pay the asking price or even half of the asking price. The most I would be willing to pay on this (and this is if I absolutely couldn't live without out) is around $350-$400.

Also, as was indicated by Jom, the coin looks better than MS60, which usually means one of two things: either the coin is heavily bag marked (most TPGs rarely use the MS60-MS61, and when they do the coin is usually pretty scarred up) or the coin was silently net graded for a problem. Based on the photograph, I'm leaning towards the latter. There are significant scuffs on Miss Liberty's neck, and I am thinking that the coin would have been placed in a genuine holder if it weren't for the toning (the graders have been known to do this in the past with better coins).

The MS60 is what would worry me for almost the same reason. They could have been unsure of the toning and just decided it was market acceptable and did not doom the coin.

Thanks jerseycat. the way the term was used In the thread, I was really hoping it was more interesting like it was a nickname for an infamous toned coin or a famous story where a guy paid like all this money for a AT coin........ or I dont know.

Im disappointed....lol

Btw I might agree that MS60 is harsh(from what I see in pictures). I have an 1899 P morgan that I bought raw. I submitted to NGC expecting a 60 because of its degree of bags. Long story short, it came back 61 and from what I can see, the peace looks less banged up then mine. I can provide pictures in the morning aftet I get out of work if anyone is at all Interested to see them. Probably not though.

Its really hard to say from OPs pictures on my end

Nick

Forget half that - I don't think its worth a tenth of the asking price. Keep in mind that without the toning, that coin is worth roughly $30 (the price of the silver in it). Even at a tenth of his asking price, that is still a 10x premium - a considerable amount for any toned coin.

But to ask a 100x premium?!? That's utterly ridiculous.

Code 91 is questionable color. Sounds as though PCGS docked it for possible AT?

I got the impression from the OP it was in an MS60 holder so they could not have felt it was not MA toning....they would have simply put it in a Genuine slab, no?

Also, I thought both services have "for all practical purposes" stopped giving the grade of MS60. I usually only see this grade in OGH PCGS holders for example. Then again, the OP didn't show the label....

jom

To me, the obverse is OK and the reverse is ugly. The seller can ask any amount they wish - it is then up to a potential buyer to decide if that is reasonable.

Trying to grade the reverse of that coin with toning would be a real challenge. The toning is so distracting it's hard to see the devices. As they used to say if you buy toned coins, you had best know a lot about grading because toning can hide a lot of problems. It’s one of the reasons why you see polished or whizzed coins with a coat of AT to hide the problem. And some people get lucky and get such coins into “normal” holders. I’ve seen a polished and AT’d 1806 quarter and a 1796 half dime in PCGS holders. The quarter was graded VF-30 and the half dime rated an AU-50. :o

Having said that, I don't care for this coin on any level. I find spotty, uneven toning like that to be very unattractive.

Forget half that - I don't think its worth a tenth of the asking price. Keep in mind that without the toning, that coin is worth roughly $30 (the price of the silver in it). Even at a tenth of his asking price, that is still a 10x premium - a considerable amount for any toned coin.

But to ask a 100x premium?!? That's utterly ridiculous.

+ 1 !!

Its a pretty coin... just not $2650 pretty.

I probably paid on average 26.50 (with a decimal point) for the commons in my set, and I like several of mine better. The subject coin is further evidence that slabs exert FAR too much influence on how folks buy and sell coins.

I would gladly pay $50 for the OP coin, even $60, but no more. Not when I can eventually cherry pick a raw coin just as nice for the price.

Its a pretty coin... just not $2650 pretty.

I probably paid on average 26.50 (with a decimal point) for the commons in my set, and I like several of mine better. The subject coin is further evidence that slabs exert FAR too much influence on how folks buy and sell coins.

I would gladly pay $50 for the OP coin, even $60, but no more. Not when I can eventually cherry pick a raw coin just as nice for the price.

I would happily pay you $100 for each toned raw Peace $ that you eventually cherry pick that is that nice.

Having said that, I don't care for this coin on any level. I find spotty, uneven toning like that to be very unattractive.

Agree---that coin isn't particularly attractive and certainly not worth anywhere near the asking price.

$2,650 ?!? :tonofbricks:

Well, I am glad I am not really into the toners ... yes, they are pretty, but one day the fad will end, sanity will return and I predict their prices will fall accordingly. I do enjoy a bit of toning but these easter eggs just seems to take away the artistic beauty of the coin for me. But whatever floats your skirt, and you can't take it with you (although I am sure going to try lol). I really hope this guy feels like he got his money's worth.

I don't think its worth half that price. I am not at liberty to disclose the seller either, as I am interested in this coin and some others he has.

0000073570060014928315_o-1.jpg

0000073570060014928315_r-1.jpg

This coin looks like it was in a drainage ditch for a decade. :sick:

Its certainly one of the nicest MS 60's I have seen for that issue. A really attractive coin with nice toning.

I am not a toner expert / fan so won't make any comments about price. With CDN Bid around $40 I think it will take a real dedicated toner fan. Who knows perhaps that person will turn up. I have seen people pay real high for toned coins. I remember a 1968-D Half with fantastic toning graded PCGS 63 bringing $60.

I am just making an observation that's all. For years and even in these threads not long ago, people were commenting that there were no toned peace dollars

for one reason or the other. Either they were shipped in different bags, the alloy, the age of the coins or any of a number of reasons. Now they seem to be comming out of the wood work. I just can't reconcile the fact that for years,and I have been at this for awhile,they were nowhere to be found and now? I hope every one who who is buying these coins are making a wise decision. There may come a time when a source may be found , and that source may not be what we wish it to be.

I am just making an observation that's all. For years and even in these threads not long ago, people were commenting that there were no toned peace dollars

for one reason or the other. Either they were shipped in different bags, the alloy, the age of the coins or any of a number of reasons. Now they seem to be comming out of the wood work. I just can't reconcile the fact that for years,and I have been at this for awhile,they were nowhere to be found and now? I hope every one who who is buying these coins are making a wise decision. There may come a time when a source may be found , and that source may not be what we wish it to be.

they are probably appearing bc they have gone up in value so much. just like in any other thing there are more sellers as the prices rise. by your theory all or most coins in older holders are more safe ?

I can tell you that when I first started hunting these coins more than a decade ago, dealers would laugh at me. First they would say toned Peace $ dont exist and the ones that did would/should be dipped cleaned of toning. They arent as pretty as Morgans ! I thought they were just as pretty and many could be had back then for little to no premium. Many came right from albums and 20th Century type sets with cardboard backing. (Thats how I suspect this coin became toned)

Now for some reason they have caught fire. And I really think that with the prices being driven up on these coins, the ones that havent been dipped are finding their way to the market. I even see coins with unattractive toning coming to market and selling for premiums. These same coins would have certainly been dipped 10 yrs ago to make them bright and shiny. Now they are considered toned Peace $. Those marginally toned Peace $ will certainly bottom out. Truly beautiful coins will hold most of the value they currently have.

I dont think there is some master source for toned Peace $ (unless you consider aftermarket holders and albums a source).