• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Common Date MS60 Peace Rainbow - Asking Price: $2650.00

44 posts in this topic

More safe than what? In this economy nothing is safe. Some things may not lose as much as others,but but safe is a relative term. I am saying I wish you all well in your investments, and hope that what is, really is.

I am not into paying out the nose for a little tarnish on silver, but then again, there those that pay millions for a little paint on a canvas.....

MM

MS60 is what the PCGS graders believe the coin should trade at in the marketplace. That said, it does look as though it could technical grade higher than that.

You are probabky right. I believe that most coins exist in larger number that most people either believe or want to believe.

That said, I agree with the other like comments that the ask price is vastly excessive. It is still a low grade MS 1922 Peace dollar no matter the color pattern.

More safe than what? In this economy nothing is safe. Some things may not lose as much as others,but but safe is a relative term. I am saying I wish you all well in your investments, and hope that what is, really is.

Coins should never be though of as an investment.. unless you're a dealer.

Its a pretty coin... just not $2650 pretty.

I probably paid on average 26.50 (with a decimal point) for the commons in my set, and I like several of mine better. The subject coin is further evidence that slabs exert FAR too much influence on how folks buy and sell coins.

I would gladly pay $50 for the OP coin, even $60, but no more. Not when I can eventually cherry pick a raw coin just as nice for the price.

I would happily pay you $100 for each toned raw Peace $ that you eventually cherry pick that is that nice.

In whose opinion, though? I probably like almost all of my cherry picks better than the subject coin, and as I said, I bet the commons I've bought were literally in the $25 - $40 range.

The OP coin is OK. I don't think it's all that ugly, and I don't mind it, but it just isn't especially "nice", either (if the images are to be believed). It is, as I said, something like a $50 coin to me IF IT WERE RAW (which is about the only way I'd buy toned Peace dollars).

But as I also stated, a plastic slab seems to make some people go bonkers.

I can tell you that when I first started hunting these coins more than a decade ago, dealers would laugh at me. First they would say toned Peace $ dont exist and the ones that did would/should be dipped cleaned of toning. They arent as pretty as Morgans ! I thought they were just as pretty and many could be had back then for little to no premium. Many came right from albums and 20th Century type sets with cardboard backing. (Thats how I suspect this coin became toned)

Now for some reason they have caught fire. And I really think that with the prices being driven up on these coins, the ones that havent been dipped are finding their way to the market. I even see coins with unattractive toning coming to market and selling for premiums. These same coins would have certainly been dipped 10 yrs ago to make them bright and shiny. Now they are considered toned Peace $. Those marginally toned Peace $ will certainly bottom out. Truly beautiful coins will hold most of the value they currently have.

I dont think there is some master source for toned Peace $ (unless you consider aftermarket holders and albums a source).

Tonerguy, It was nice to meet and talk with you at Dennis' table at Long Beach... Yes I agree, they are coming out of the woodwork, though I have not been looking for them as ardently as you have, yet I fear that many beautiful Peace dollars have been dipped out and are gone forever.

As a toned coin collector, the whole phenomena of toned Peace dollars are of great interst to me... because it appears that the conditions that promote toning are slightly different for them, whereas the conditions for optimally toning almost every other series is similar, generally speaking. Granted there are certain situations that are connected with some but not all series (like bag toned Morgans or tab toned commems), but peace dollars and the reasons they tone or don't tone are not as clearly understood it seems.

I never saw any deeply toned Peace dollars when I was collecting them (1964-2010). I put together several sets and upgraded several coins in each. The toned peace dollars that I did find occasionally were pastel in color (oink, green blue) and were not deep, except maybe a few with cobalt rims from albums.

All of the sudden about 2002, highly toned peace dollars began to appear and I just figured that they were all "napkin"or album toned coins and moved on. I guess at least some have been deemed "market acceptable" by the TPG's and are mainstream. I just can not get past the doctored Peace dollars, made to order, that I have seen sometimes get into slabs from dealers that I knew. Not when they have these large premiums on them and I, as a collector, can not tell what they are.

Your opinion is fine with me. Ive seen your collection. You have great taste in toned Peace $.

If I get to add to it this year, I'll do so. But really, I do not pursue toned Peace dollars with any alacrity. It's just... if I happen to see one that grabs my fancy, then I might buy it.

It really does average out to about one per year lol !!

If I get to add to it this year, I'll do so. But really, I do not pursue toned Peace dollars with any alacrity. It's just... if I happen to see one that grabs my fancy, then I might buy it.

It really does average out to about one per year lol !!

Well at one a year I know I wont go broke !

I never saw any deeply toned Peace dollars when I was collecting them (1964-2010). I put together several sets and upgraded several coins in each. The toned peace dollars that I did find occasionally were pastel in color (oink, green blue) and were not deep, except maybe a few with cobalt rims from albums.

All of the sudden about 2002, highly toned peace dollars began to appear and I just figured that they were all "napkin"or album toned coins and moved on. I guess at least some have been deemed "market acceptable" by the TPG's and are mainstream. I just can not get past the doctored Peace dollars, made to order, that I have seen sometimes get into slabs from dealers that I knew. Not when they have these large premiums on them and I, as a collector, can not tell what they are.

I agree with you. I can't get past the possibility of doctors either.As I said earlier in this post when i first started they were no where to be found. I even recall

in the early years the running joke at many Atlanta coin shows was the doctorwas in the house when the morgans started showing up. I don't know if they are doctored or not, and I respect everyones right to collect what they like and be happy, but $2600 for a $50 coin, man please.

Tonerguy, It was nice to meet and talk with you at Dennis' table at Long Beach... Yes I agree, they are coming out of the woodwork, though I have not been looking for them as ardently as you have, yet I fear that many beautiful Peace dollars have been dipped out and are gone forever.

As a toned coin collector, the whole phenomena of toned Peace dollars are of great interst to me... because it appears that the conditions that promote toning are slightly different for them, whereas the conditions for optimally toning almost every other series is similar, generally speaking. Granted there are certain situations that are connected with some but not all series (like bag toned Morgans or tab toned commems), but peace dollars and the reasons they tone or don't tone are not as clearly understood it seems.

It was my pleasure as well. I hunt for raw toned Peace $ for little to no premium. Years ago I could go to a major show and find 1-2 or sometimes I would get lucky and find 1 at a smaller show or a B&M.

Usually they were in the junk box or in some plastic and cardboard aftermarket holder or even in those 20th Century framed wall sets. Rarely did I see them in the main display cases. Even today not every dealer stocks Peace $ and if they do they are usually just the key dates. And for the most part I rarely see toned Peace $ in dealers cases. And its usually just 3-4 dealers that have one at a show the size of Long Beach.

If you didnt see them it probably means you werent looking in the right places, not that they didnt exist.

The reason why they are coming out of the wood work is because of threads like this.. $2650 for a $50 coin ! That will get everyone's attention to look in their collections for such potential profits. And more will come to market.

As for there being AT toned Peace $ in top TPG plastic. Absolutely there is, as well as vibrantly toned Morgans, Jefferson Nickels, Ike dollars and any other "toned coin hoard" that comes with a story. If the coins need a story to convince a buyer they are NT you can pretty much assume they are AT.

Interesting that no one questions those hoards and how the toning was applied to those coins...

If you didnt see them it probably means you werent looking in the right places, not that they didnt exist.

The reason why they are coming out of the wood work is because of threads like this.. $2650 for a $50 coin ! That will get everyone's attention to look in their collections for such potential profits. And more will come to market.

Yep, that's exactly my observations as well.

And, you are also 100% spot on regarding the oddball places where toned Peace dollars show up, such as in those old "20th Century Type Set" frames. In fact, I believe that is precisely where one of mine came from.

Also, years and years ago, around 1978 or so, Sears used to sell some framed small, cheap (but badly overpriced of course) collections. They usually had highly polished low-grade coins and reprocessed steel cents, but one of the very nicest toned Barber half-dollars I ever owned came from one of those sets. I also have several wacky low-grade Mercs with the most amazing tone you've ever seen... and they are in such frames.