• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tragic Event

9 posts in this topic

A family is murdered for gold.

Folks,

just got wind of a horrible tragedy that occured in Louisiana where a family of 3 were murdered during a home invasion robbery on 18 February. The murderers, 5 of whom have been arrested, stole a safe with approximatly 500K worth of gold coins.

Apparently one of the murderers was a former employee of the owner.

More details here:

http://www.wafb.com/story/17101746/detectives-arrest-two-more-suspects-in-gold-coins-triple-murder

The Numismatic Crime Information Center has provided a partial list This kind of horrible crime makes it quite obvious that all collectors should keep our coin collecting interests close to the vest.

Be Safe Everyone,

Malcolm

See more journals by BeawChan

My question is... How were the scumbags even on the streets?

"Aikens, Stewart and Moore all have extensive criminal records with the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office. Aikens was arrested in 1996 for armed robbery and possession of cocaine; in 1997 for possession of drugs; in 2000 for illegal use of a weapon. Stewart was arrested in 2009 for disturbing the peace; in 2011 for illegal carrying of a weapon and possession of marijuana; in 2012 for attempted murder and introduction of contraband into a penal facility."

This is why I keep my guns close!

This is a definate tragedy.I feel that every law abiding citizen in this country should be armed,the criminals certainly are! My wife and I both took the concealed weapons course and carry a weapon everywhere we go! I think if more citizens were armed the thugs and criminals would think twice about robbing and stealing.I dont have much but I will protect what I do have to the end

Amen to that... but its not really about coins, its about fast money. They'll try to steal anything to make an easy dollar, rather than do an honest days work.

This is a definate tragedy.I feel that every law abiding citizen in this country should be armed,the criminals certainly are!

Agree! We have laws in place the restrict those that are law abiding to NOT have or carry weapons. Yet, criminals, which break the law anyway, carry weapons and the law abiding citizens cannot protect themselves. You can make all the laws in the world for anti-guns and the criminals will still have them. I don't know why politicians can't understand that. :makepoint:

Been searching the Internet for the Oregon story and couldn't find the axe story but there was a collector from the Portland area that had his entire collection stolen by his son and two others over the Xmas weekend. The son is still at large, the two others have been arrested. They dumped the entire collection into a Coinstar machine and got $450 in cash. Police recovered all the stolen property and Coinstar let the collector go thru the machine to try and recover the coins

A son, robs his father over Xmas holiday!

Makes you sick,

Merlin8*

This is the reason we as coin collectors, as in the posts a few weeks ago about coin/house security, need to understand that it is important for us to learn and follow rules of safety.

Be aware as to who knows and who to show your collections. Sadly, it may be that someone who knew about the coin collection innocently mentioned it to someone. That happened to me about ten years ago.

I also agree about keeping my pistols close and my shotgun even closer.

My condolences to the families of the individuals murdered.

Jack