• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old guy decides to jump into the deep end of coin collecting with very mixed results. posted by Richard Blaine

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Ignorance is not bliss!

I`m a retired civil servant. I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I conservatively invested in the stock market most of my adult life. My overall experience was mixed, but I did alright. I made a reasonable amount of profit over the years. Considerably more than I would have achieved from simple interest earning investments. I`ve been retired for 10 years now.

In 2009, and quite by accident, I pushed a wrong button on my TV`s remote control. Serendipity. I was looking at a television coin show. The TV show was called The Coin Vault. Prior to this, I thought that you could only buy a coin by visiting a local coin shop. *Before I write more, I`m going to see if can input this into my Journal. I expect that I will fail, and I will lose what I have written so far. We`ll see.

See more journals by Richard Blaine

When I was first starting out I made quite a few purchases from The Coin Vault, and on each and every deal after I bought I found out that I paid WAY more than I should have and if I would have been patient I would have found a better deal in more than 1 place.

I would not recommend buying from them unless you have more money than sense. Now when I see that show I only watch it to hear the misinformation and for a laugh.

See I can laugh at my mistakes :banana:

I remember back at the turn of the century buying ASEs from them... at the time, it was the only place I knew. I never purchased anything except a graded ASE or raw silver dollars in rolls. At the time, I paid about $7-8 per coin in BU.

They always say that tehy don't sell for specualtors or investors... just to collectors, and that you shouldn't expect a profit. Well, that was true until silver jumped back up to $40-$45 an ounce last year. I took those silver dollars and put them on eBay, and got $40-60 per coin (ASEs and Peace Dollars).. not a bad return.

I wish there was a coin shop near me, but alas, there is none. I have to rely on eBay, Heritage, some local auctions and coin shows.... I find deals all the time, and always beat their prices now.