• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of ethics...

35 posts in this topic

Im talking about a coin that was posted here. The guy was extremely happy and excited to see it and than people started dogging the coin. His feelings must have changed because the coin ended up back on there site. Wether it was his opinion to send it back or others will remain unknown. It was purchased from one of Marks old employers which have crystal clear photos and they are a very good bunch of folks IMO.

Im not saying its bad to ask for opinions. I just wonder how many coins get sent back for what other people say rather than the purchasers opinion

So I take it the concensus is yes, it is okay? I really don't see anyone outright criticizing the requested action. That being said, I would have no desire to mention the dealer; as the question concerns the coin and not the seller. I believe price is 'fair' game to an extent. Obviously if a dealer is offering you a really good price because you have done a lot of buisness with him or her throughout the years there are reasons why the dealer may not want you to reveal this information. That being said, not everyone knows the market for coins and would like to know if they are paying too much as well. In any event, I greatly appreciate all the responses. I thank everyone for commenting; and if anyone else has anything to add, positive or negative, please feel free.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I have wondered the same thing. Mainly because of image copyright laws, but I really don't see a problem with asking for a 2nd opinion on a coin using the image. Detailed scans or photos of a coin is the only way IMO to photograde a coin and/or to see if the price is right, and the last thing you want to do is say the coin looks good enough to be the asking price but then end up paying too much. It is ALWAYS better to get a 2nd opinion from someone who is more knowledgable of the coin. I never like to pay too much for anything, let alone a coin!!

-Dave

I see nothing wrong in posting an image and soliciting opinions, as you described.

Some posters even include the name of the dealer, as well. As a dealer, I don't have a problem with that, either. Others might disagree.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that images might make the coin look much better or much worse than it looks in hand.

I agree with Mark, and to add more about photographs:

On items with multiple images, I have even had buyers ask me, "Which coin are you selling," because the same coin looked so different from one shot to the next. If you are dealing with a reputable seller, take some stock in their description of the item, in addition to the photgraphs.

I would much rather you post the coin here, get opinions, and make an informed purchase of a coin than worry about offending some dealer. If they get offended that you are soliciting opinions, they don't genuinely care about you.

From my perspective as a dealer, I would welcome the publicity ;)