• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 5FS by lehigh96

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1940-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 5FS from ddamer (E-Bay seller) for $87.95 and 135 registry points.

This auction was won using a max bid of $103.00

1940-D 5C MS67 5FS: NGC Census: (22/0). PCGS Population (106/0) (2/2012).

Seller: E-Bay Seller: ddamer

E-Bay Listing: 130651552669

Ended: Feb 27, 2012 17:10:00 PST

Coin Description:

Stunning lavender, peach, and ice blue blanket both sides of this well struck premium gem. The 6th step is incomplete and the coin grades 6-5-5-6 by the quarter step method. There appears to be some roughness on Jeffs coat which is most likely the result of some pitting on the die.

Comments:

I actually purchased this coin with the intent of flipping it. From the E-Bay seller scans, it appeared to simply be a white roll fresh 1940-D MS67 5FS which is not particularly rare but a coin that I did not have in stock on my E-Bay store. In addition, my registry collection already included an MS67 6FS pedigreed to the famous Compradore collection.

When I opened the package and saw the coin, I was floored. The toning was superb and the overall eye appeal was better than the example in my registry set. The problem that this coin presented was that technically, it was a downgrade given that it only has 5FS. One of the mini goals of my collection was that every coin minted during 1940 would have 6FS since they are so common for that year. However, the larger goal and theme of my collection is based on eye appeal for which this coin clearly was superior. I was having such a hard time determining which coin to include in my collection that I left it up to the members of the NGC forum (thread url listed below).

The registry points were not really a consideration since I only lost 28 points by downgrading from the 6FS example to this 5FS coin. The results of that thread and the attached poll echoed what I already knew but was having trouble accepting, that this coin has superior eye appeal and deserves to be included in a registry collection based on eye appeal.

10829.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Paul - as I voted in your poll in favor of this coin, I'm sure glad you decided to ignore the points and choose this one. I really like it.

One day I will buy that special Jeff for my basic U.S. type set. I'll likely consult with you before I buy one. Eye appeal is the most important criteria for me.

I always enjoy your write ups and thank you for taking the time to share your passion.