• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 Reverse of 38 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 by lehigh96

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1939 Reverse of 38 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 from drbobcoins (E-Bay seller) for $133.40 and 527 registry points.

1939 Reverse of 38 5C MS67: NGC Census: 10/0 (2/2012).

Seller: E-Bay Seller: drbobcoins

E-Bay Listing: 120860351857

Ended: Feb 22, 201217:02:04 PST

Coin Description:

A smooth, clean, lustrous coin with light champagne toning on both sides. A decent strike and some moderate die wear can be seen as well.

Comments:

This coin lifts a great weight off my numismatic shoulders. A little known secret in the Jefferson Nickel world is that the TPGs did not always recognize the difference between the Reverse of 38 and Reverse of 40 for the 1939 Nickels. In the beginning, they were all simply graded as 1939 Jefferson Nickels from their respective mints. The result is that the coins graded in the early years of the TPGs will not have a reverse attribution and will fit into the 1939 Reverse of 38 slot in the registry even though they might have a reverse of 40.

I used this little known fact to fill my 1939 Reverse of 38 slot with a coin in an old no line fattie NGC holder despite the fact that the coin was a Reverse of 40. And although I admitted this plainly in my description, it was still cheating. I even tried to comfort myself with the fact that the fraud coin had a RADAR for a certification number, 100070-001, which made it very cool. I will rest much easier now that this slot has been properly filled with an actual top pop Reverse of 38.

10828.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the difference between a reverse of 38 and a reverse of 40? I tried to look and compare from the pictures in your set, but didn't notice any discernible difference. Thanks.