• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An open letter to Jersey in response to his post ATS...

13 posts in this topic

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=849547

I dont post there so I couldnt answer...

As for a good source for toned Peace $...

There arent any good sources. Unfortunately you have choosen a path that will only be accomplished with hard work, dedication and many many hours spent searching...

You can always pick up some monster toners at HA auctions, Ebay or from a select few dealers and you will pay thru the proverbial nose for them and probably be buried in the coin.

The best place to find toned Peace $ for bid or slight premiums -> B&Ms that dont understand the premium for toning. Or perhaps new dealers at local small shows. Other than that its all about money.

I see that you are already trying the "buy raw and slab" approach from your other threads... I would stay that path. You might not have true "monsters" in your collection but you will have a lot of "near monsters" that you can always sell at a very nice profit. (Unless you factor in your time as a cost basis and then you will never sell a toned Peace $ again !)

Good luck and never give up the hunt !!

Personally I wish to applaud Jersey for his new approach to his collecting of Peace Dollars. Finding coins already in slabs is very simple in my opinion, but to find them raw and later submitting them to a TPG is much more challenging. Or at least that's how I feel.

I'm currently doing the same thing, but not specifically looking for toners. Plus mine is interest is in a different series of coins. I have not posted anything about them here simply because of the negative comments often made towards modern coins. But the pride involved from finding them raw and having them come back in decent grades means more to me than just searching auction site after auction site to find a coin in a piece of plastic that someone else had found first.

Hehe.. i see you saw my thread.

So far my favorite response was the 6 month taco bell layaway plan.

I was going to state "On the BST once they are "cracked out of PCI holders", but I bit my tongue over there........ ;)

Hehe.. i see you saw my thread.

So far my favorite response was the 6 month taco bell layaway plan.

I was going to state "On the BST once they are "cracked out of PCI holders", but I bit my tongue over there........ ;)

lol those coins are a disgrace. The fake story behind them is even funnier.

Personally I wish to applaud Jersey for his new approach to his collecting of Peace Dollars. Finding coins already in slabs is very simple in my opinion, but to find them raw and later submitting them to a TPG is much more challenging. Or at least that's how I feel.

I'm currently doing the same thing, but not specifically looking for toners. Plus mine is interest is in a different series of coins. I have not posted anything about them here simply because of the negative comments often made towards modern coins. But the pride involved from finding them raw and having them come back in decent grades means more to me than just searching auction site after auction site to find a coin in a piece of plastic that someone else had found first.

+1 ... Its all about the hunt. It doesnt matter what kind of coin it is and what level you collect at. Sometimes I think collectors forget that and think its more about what you spend then what you enjoy...

Finding a raw coin for $3 and getting slabbed as an MS67 top pop $1200 coin I think is more rewarding than buying an already slabbed MS67 for $1200, but to each his own.

From across the street...

Peace dollars rarely toned inside the bank bags, because the bag material was different and/or the planchets were treated differently than Morgans before striking. What this means to me, is that many Peace dollar toners on the market were made recently, say the past 10 years or so. So buy them if you like them, but understand that the odds are if the coin is for sale, the toning is probably on the newer side. Again, AT/NT is virtually the same chemical process, except for obvious bake jobs. The difference being more of when the toning took place, and how quickly the coin acquired its toning.

I love this thinking. And the more kool-aid the PCGS's army drinks the happier I will be...

If you were a master coin doctor, why in the name of all things holy would you waste your time in toning a Peace $ when if you spent the same amount of time and effort on a Morgan dollar you can make sooooo much more.

I think Mumu said it the best -> the same guys that say all toned Peace $ are AT are the same ones lined up to buy toned Morgans... but no one ever questions the toning on a Morgan if its in a PCGS slab...

Well, I think you guys know I collect these un-certified. I posted them here before. They may not be the most amazing pop-tops ever, but considering I paid a reasonable price for each (to my recollection), it's not an impossible feat to create a decent collection on a normal person's budget.

(Not that I'm completely normal lol .)

There was no Omaha Bank Hoard of toners for the Peace dollar series. LaVere Redfield's Peace Dollars were mostly peach juiced, if toned at all. I guess that it does not matter to many as long as it is market acceptable but there were not very many Peace dollar toners even 20 years ago. There have always been a few that were pastel colors and sort of delicately toned coins. Even the ones which I album toned for over 20 years did not tone into a dark color, just pastels.

Well, I think you guys know I collect these un-certified. I posted them here before. They may not be the most amazing pop-tops ever, but considering I paid a reasonable price for each (to my recollection), it's not an impossible feat to create a decent collection on a normal person's budget.

(Not that I'm completely normal lol .)

A very impressive set and the 27 is by far the most impressive coin of all.

It is almost impossible to find any 1927s with rainbow colors and would be happy to buy it if you ever decided that you want to sell it.

I would love to see that set in a Capital Peace $ year set holder.. That would be a thing of beauty !

From across the street...

Peace dollars rarely toned inside the bank bags, because the bag material was different and/or the planchets were treated differently than Morgans before striking. What this means to me, is that many Peace dollar toners on the market were made recently, say the past 10 years or so. So buy them if you like them, but understand that the odds are if the coin is for sale, the toning is probably on the newer side. Again, AT/NT is virtually the same chemical process, except for obvious bake jobs. The difference being more of when the toning took place, and how quickly the coin acquired its toning.

I love this thinking. And the more kool-aid the PCGS's army drinks the happier I will be...

If you were a master coin doctor, why in the name of all things holy would you waste your time in toning a Peace $ when if you spent the same amount of time and effort on a Morgan dollar you can make sooooo much more.

I think Mumu said it the best -> the same guys that say all toned Peace $ are AT are the same ones lined up to buy toned Morgans... but no one ever questions the toning on a Morgan if its in a PCGS slab...

I disagree with this, and I would venture to say that most rainbow toned Peace Dollars realize more money than comparable rainbow toned Morgan Dollars (not that the latter isn't a lucrative area). Moreover, while I think there are some that would blindly trust PCGS, I think the majority (of the regular posters here and ATS at least) are astute enough to realize that all TPGs make mistakes.

Im not talking about individual coins. I am talking about the market as a whole.

There are far more people paying far more money for toned rainbow Morgans then toned rainbow Peace $.

At the recent Long Beach show there might have been 6-12 rainbow toned Peace $ on the floor that I would considered expensive ($1000-$2000) coins...

How many toned rainbow Morgans in the same price range do you think there were ?

A simple search on Ebay for "rainbow Morgan" in just the title returns 974 results. For "rainbow Peace" it returns 24 and two of those results were AT peace Jeffs...