• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1961 Franklin GTG - Grade Revealed

18 posts in this topic

First of all, nice Coin bud!

MS63?

(I am relatively new to MS grading, so I'm really crappy and trying to learn from you experts)

CC

Not even close. I'm gonna give you a mulligan and let you try again.

Wow, well you go from one extreme to the other, eh? I wish this thing were 67! That would be worth crazy big bucks.

For a good intro to grading, I recommend you read the article linked in my sig.

I will guess MS65, uncertain on the FBL designation as it's hard to tell from pictures and NGC is more of a stickler than PCGS (I notice it's in a NGC holder).

-Brandon

I say MS65 FBL. The surfaces are really clean on the obverse, but there is a bit too much chatter on the reverse bell for a "+" grade for me. All in all, I like it. I agree with the others that it is a close call on the FBL using NGC's definition. My understanding is that some (very,very slight) weakness is allowed to the left of the bell at NGC on the top lines.

i am in between ms65 FBL and ms66

im going to go with ms 66

thinking the lines aren't full around the left side after the crack in the bell

I'll go with MS65 (and barely) FBL.

NGC agrees, but more importantly, I agree with you. This is graded 65 FBL.

In hand, the luster is absolutely incredible on this coin, especially on the reverse. The strike is overall strong for the date, with the exception of the bell lines which never come very well struck on these later date coins. The bell lines are as full as can be expected, although there is weakness near the crack. In hand, they are full (but barely). The impeccable surfaces would lead me to personally grade this coin 65+ FBL. For reasons mentioned earlier, such as the mark on his nose, I do not think the coin would receive a 66 FBL.

I interpreted the "(barely)" parenthetical of Mark to mean that it barely made 65 (i.e., 64+), not that it almost made 66. I find the obverse to be "meh". The reverse is quite splendid.

I suppose it could also mean that it barely made FBL....? But I don't see how it would be interpreted to mean that it was close to being higher than 65...

I interpreted the "(barely)" parenthetical of Mark to mean that it barely made 65 (i.e., 64+), not that it almost made 66. I find the obverse to be "meh". The reverse is quite splendid.

I suppose it could also mean that it barely made FBL....? But I don't see how it would be interpreted to mean that it was close to being higher than 65...

My "barely" was with respect to the coin earning the FBL designation - sorry for the confusion.

Physics, forgive the stupid question , but why is it FBL when the lines are broken rlto the left of the crack??

Minor weakness is allowed right near the crack. Also, my pictures are not showing that area well. In hand, they are stronger.