• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the "[i]W-Struck at West Point Mint[/i]" Silver Eagles Really a Variety Coin?

5 posts in this topic

. . . or are they just a Play on labels?

Though I agree that the "(S)Struck at San Francisco Mint" coin, though just another bullion coin, can be considered a variation from the pack, having been minted at S.F., does the same hold true for the "(W)" version? It's a West Point issued bullion coin, the same as the other bullion coins, the only difference is that one Label says 2011 and 2012 Silver Eagle, and the other label includes a "(W)Struck at" on its label, both produced at the same time, from the same Mint!

A couple of days ago I inquired about having the 2012(S)coin added to the MS Eagles competative set, the response from the Staff (I think) was overkill, by adding a whole new set that includes ALL the variation labels.

Since I don't believe that the "(W)" label defines it as a Variety Coin different from the standard Bullion Label, I Don't believe this Label should have distinction from the bullion in the Mint State Silver Eagle Set!

See more journals by Gino Tumminia

Just a play on labels. And another way the mint and others will stifle collecting in, arguably, the most popular set of current sets.

Later,

Malcolm

I believe there is a bit of confusion with the term "variety". Coins minted from different Mint locations...i.e. mint marks... or in different years are not varieties.

A variety, by definition, is "a coin of the same date and basic design as another but with slight differences". For example, the 2008 with reverse of 2007 SAE. The difference is the tilde and the "U" on the reverse. On other coins it could be the slight change in placement or size of mint marks or dates.

The "S" SAE is not a "variety" but just another bullion coin minted in another location. I believe it would be a "variety" if slight changes were found and compared to other "S" minted SAEs of the same year. And about when they are minted...many coins are minted at the end of the year prior to going on sale in January or later of the following year. That is common practice at the Mint so they can have coins on hand to ship when they are available for sale.

Anyways...I hope that helps with the "variety" thing.

Jeffrey

What we know- All of these coins are identical, and bear no Mint Mark. The Only distinction is the tag of the monster box that they came out of, identifying the location of mintage. In this case, the location where it was minted, according to NGC, IS the Variety. Though I might buy that with the (S) coin, I can't consider the (W) labeled coin seperate from the other West Point coins! The "(W)" Label appeared on the CoinVault program, soon after the debut of the "(S)".

Second question, why NGC includes the (S) coin in the MS Silver Eagle Set for 2011, but not the 2012? and Which will be the accepted "norm" for Silver MS Eagle Sets tong-term, the

Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, or the

Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State (Incl. Varieties).

Some time ago I inquired about having the 2012(S)coin added to the MS Eagles competative set, the response from the Staff (I think) was overkill, by adding a whole new set that includes ALL the variation labels. Now the the ASE MS Set includes the 2011(S) but not the 2012(S), the other includes both 2011/12(W) and (S) coins.

Though I agree that the -(S)Struck at San Francisco Mint- coin, though just another bullion coin, can be considered a variation from the pack, having actuaslly been minted at S.F., the same does not hold true for the (W) version. It's a West Point bullion coin, the same as the other bullion coins, the only difference is that one Label says 2011 or 2012 Silver Eagle, and the other label includes a -(W)Struck at West Point- on its label, both produced at the same time, from the same Mint, maybe even from the same box!

Since I don't believe that the (W) label defines it as a Variety Coin different from the standard Bullion Label, I Don't believe this Label should have any distinction from the regular label in the Competative Sets! To me its like having a slot for the plain Brown label, and ERs or West Point Label for the same coin. However, a silver eagle from the Denver Mint would be interesting- that hasn't been done yet.