• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recognizing PVC Damage

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just got my collection out of the vault after being overseas for (way too many to name) years. As I was looking over my horde of raw coins I noticed that I had about 50 in an old plastic tube of which some seem to have red spotting on them. Gasp!!! The ones in seperate cardboard 2x2s were all fine and I have since moved the 50 to a harder tube just in case. Can this spotting be caused by PVC and if so what can be done to mitigate the damage? If not, what might be causing the spotting? I know about possible environmental damage, but I though gold was fairly stable.

Thanks in advance,

Wendy

It doesn't sound like PVC damage. PVC is typically green and slimy.Pictures would help, but it sounds like the classic gold copper spot problem.

For now, your best move is to rinse them with acetone and store them separately.

Acetone will NOT remove the spots, but it will dehydrate the surfaces and essentially halt the process if the coins are protected from air.

Take some pictures and post them in the NCS section of the forum to see if they think they can help.