• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA Summer Seminar Class on USA Type Coins

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Once again this year I'm teaching a class on Collecting United States Type Coins with co-instructor Frank Van Valen, Senior Cataloger at Stacks Bowers. Frank and I have been adding to our own collections over the past year to have some really nice coins to share with our students. Our class is held during Session I, June 23-29.

If you have an interest in attending the ANA Summer Seminar, contact the ANA as soon as possible, since classes are already filling up. Here's a link to the seminar webpage: http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NumismaticEvents/SummerSeminar/default.htm

David and Frank are excellent! So---go, sign up!

.... and take some other classes too. The ANA summer seminar is a great experience you will enjoy for years to come.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What are the hours of a class like this?

Classes run 9:00-11:45 and 1:15-4:30 Mon-Thurs, with an introductory afternoon session on Sunday. Students arrive on Saturday for registration, room assignments, etc., followed by an early evening reception which, in recent years, has been an outdoor barbeque, weather permitting.

The ANA Summer Seminar is the most fun in numismatics. I began there as a student in 1983, graduating to instructor in 1995, and I've been there at least every other year since. Frank and I have been teaching the USA Type Coins class for about eight years now, and it's great for renewing our own enthusiasm for the hobby.

There's also a very good coin show in town over the weekend between Sessions I and II. Anyone attending the seminar should include time to attend it. The show opens on Friday, and I believe it runs through Sunday. Also, the Hallenbeck Coin Gallery is just a few blocks walk from ANA Headquarters, and the 1-1/2 hour lunch period is enough to fit in a visit.

Strongly recommend attending the ANA Summer Seminars.

Glenn Holsonbake of Larry Shapiro Rare Coins and myself

are instructors in The Coinage of Charles Barber, Chief Engraver

of the US Mint ( 1879 - 1917 ). This course is in the second

session, June 30 to July 6.

Hope to see you there !!

I second all these recommendations! This will be my 4th year and the 2nd that I have enrolled for both weeks. In 55 years of collecting I can truly say that the ANA Summer Session is one of the finest experiences available in this great hobby. Not only are the classes worth the admission but to sit at breakfast, lunch and dinner with the notable experts in the field and some of the true "characteres" of this hobby(Tiny and Budha come to mind) and talk of any subject of interest is an incomperable experience. In my lifetime it is the best investment I've ever made.

There seems to be a flaw in the NGC Message System.

I tried responding to a series of PM's from a collector

however even my response is blocked. Syntax error ??

my email: Elbesaar@comcast.net

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE, expecting T_STRING in /srv/www/vhosts/boards.collectors-society.com/html/scripts/viewmessage.inc.php on line 304

I get the above whether sending or receiveing a PM.....

I saw a note that the Message Board PM system is down

this morning - but was to be up by Noon.

Still a no go by 3PM.

...maybe Florida fell off and is now in one of the Alaskan time zones?

NGC is less than 2 hrs away - what can I say ??

Thanks again, Roger.