• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1863 Washington Market CWT NGC63BN, is it RB?

7 posts in this topic

I agree, there isn't enough "red" peeking through to merit the RB grade. I also saw this token on eBay, and I think the seller is too hopeful and somewhat misleading in stating that is "should" be RB.

a civil war token with great eye appeal and a really choice ms63

also it is a really choice brown coin close to rb but just brown

PQ in everyway

leave it as is where is

Thanks for the input, guys! As far as misleading, that was just my opinion about the RB. That's why I posted in here for confirmation. I will go back and change the listing to state that the comment was "IMO."

If you had as much red on the reverse as you do on the obverse, the piece would only be marginal for the red-brown designation, and probably would not get it. As it is, you are looking at brown token all the way.

You probably already know this, but that CWT is one of the "copperhead" varieties. The "Live and let live" slogan on the reverse referred to letting the southern states go their own way as an independent nation. This token was issued by a New York City business. Before the war New York City businesses made a lot of money from doing business with the southern states, and they hated losing that revenue. At one point there were New York City politicians who were called for the city to secede from the union so that business people would be free to do business with both sides.