• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mint Beckons

6 posts in this topic

And I Yawn!!!!

Folks,

Returned from the mailbox today and found our US Mint had sent me information about the 2012 Infantry commemorative Dollar. I took one look at the new Dollar and i just said no way I am ever going to want that. Something about the design is just plain pedestrian. It looks like it was designed for the sole purpose of producing large, bright, flawless, PF70 fields.

If you look at coins from the early 20th Century or the 19th century, you notice a lot more detail, a skilled engraver actually used his or her artistic skill to create a piece of art. For example, the Lincoln Cent, which has now become a spaghetti haired mess, was once a beautiful piece of art. I am so tired of Roosevelt s uninteresting head, and Washington s lifeless bust. I would like all our coins to return to allegorical designs. I would like a second Renaissance of American Coinage.

Am I asking too much? thankfully there are lots of older coins and even some newer ones with interesting designs. The Sacagawea and SAEs are bright spots in the modern era. I just wish all the lights were turned on.

Later,

Malcolm

PS-Nothing like a good rant to clear the old noggin.

10735.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

I'm with you on this one. However, the Star Spangled Banner coins are on the way and this coin will be a has been. A shame to, because the infantry is more than worthy of commemoration.

Gary

I could not agree with you more! "Pedestrian" is the perfect description. What a grotesque disgrace that the United States Mint so wastes the talented artists at its disposal.

Beijim

Malcolm,

Your statements are very true and it is saddening to watch the mint turn from artistic coinage and becoming simply a bulk silver and gold supplier.

The Sacagawea coins have nice art details that I enjoy and the Silver Eagles were so cool as they were the redo of the beautiful Walking Liberty. But now with the 200 different slabs offered for the Modern Eagles and the mint with it's no mint mark W's and S's even a nice modern collectible bullion set is headed to ruins over greed in the silver sales from the mint and multiple slabs from our grading companies.

Later----Rick

Hey Malcolm,

You are dead on correct. This coin really lacks any design or character that makes it stand out. It almost seems like the designer was really not into his creation and just whipped out something quick. (shrug)

I sure was hoping for something much more impressive...especially since it's dedicated to our military...like the 1993 WW II and the 1994 Vietnam Verteran's Memorial coins. Or more recently, the 2002 West Point and 2005 Marine Corp coins. All of those are fine examples of military themed commemorative coins. (thumbs u

Jeffrey