• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded And Not

5 posts in this topic

New member names Mike.I purchased a 2010 Silver Eagle graded ms-69.Has a blue label and says ECG.I also purchased a 2012 Silver Eagle with no grade(they were both about in the same price range)The 2012 looks much better but as far as i have read the 2010 is worth more.Confused.Mike

Welcome to the neighborhood, Mike.

First of all, don't place any (monetary) emphasis on the label. I'm not sure what "ECG" means, but NGC has their "Early Releases" and PCGS uses "First Strike". These are just marketing gimmicks requested by certain sellers to hype some figment of their imagination and make the coins seem like a good buy at their inflated prices.

The next thing you should keep in mind is that these coins are nothing more than fancy bullion being sold (graded or raw), in some cases, at a substantial premium. Don't let yourself get caught up in the "perfect 70" hype. If you prefer them graded, that's fine, but 69's will give you a lot more bang for your buck especially if you can't tell the difference between a 69 and a 70.

Also, if you're buying them because you like the design, that's fine too, but please, don't consider them an investment with the potential for a good return on your money 10, 20 or 30 or more years down the road. It's not going to happen because there is nothing scarce about them at all. For example, since the inception of the SAE Program in 1986, NGC has graded 4,234,958 in MS69.

The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the hobby for what it is........a wonderful pasttime mixed with a lot of history.

Chris