• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

French essai

5 posts in this topic

This is a 5 franc essai struck in copper in France 1848. 1848 was a tumultuous year for France, Louis Philipe was overthrown and it was the beginning of the Second Republic. And with a new government of course they had to have new coins So of course many of the engravers and designers of the day submitted designs. There were 31 designs submitted for the 5 franc alone. The majority were struck in copper like this one, but a few were struck in white metal and fewer still in silver.

I usually don't collect copper coinage as it holds little appeal for me. But every now and then I run across one where the design is appealing and the color is too much to resist. So it was with this coin cloud9.gif

The coin is about 60% red and the dark areas you see are actually a gorgeous blue. But try as I might - I just couldn't capture both colors - yet 893frustrated.gif It is slabbed by NGC as MS64 RB.

1848%205%20franc%20essai%20obv.jpg

1848%205%20franc%20essai%20rev.jpg

Copper? France? 1848? I also have something like that hanging around here...

477274-centime.JPG

grin.gif

Nice essai, I really like the alagorical Marianne on the French coins.

-JamminJ

That design is so ridiculously warped that it is great. I love the rooster on the head.

In 1848 they issued a book that showed all the essai designs. They reprinted this book in 1948 to commerate the 100th Anniversary of this event. I've only seen one copy of it for sale (I purchased it) and it is rather interesting with beautiful designs.

That design is so ridiculously warped that it is great. I love the rooster on the head.

In 1848 they issued a book that showed all the essai designs. They reprinted this book in 1948 to commerate the 100th Anniversary of this event. I've only seen one copy of it for sale (I purchased it) and it is rather interesting with beautiful designs.

Greg - I must say that I agree completely with you about the design. I think that's what attreacted me to it in the first place - it is just so weird. But I do love the deisign of the helmet even without the rooster.

Now this book you mention - if you ever wish to not own it any more - you have a buyer. Of course if you ever run across another copy - I would sure appreciate a heads up wink.gif