• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It seems to me that the newest PCGS slabs are more brittle than in years past

17 posts in this topic

Have you noticed this? In the past, the most annoying post-manufacture problem would be scratches, but for some reason, as of the last year or so, I've noticed more and more of their slabs with little chips. This is especially true at the four interlocking corners used to keep the slabs stable when stacked.

It also seems to me that they shatter more than simply "break apart" when cracking coins out. This is particularly true of the slabs with the shield logo.

Have you noticed this? Did PCGS alter it's plastic composition recently? I could see this as an anti-scammer development, since it may be much harder for crooks to separate the slab shells and re-seal a substituted coin inside.

I too have seen more PCGS slab with chips out of the stacking ridges. They always have been bad about scratches because of the convex windows.

There was actually a post somewhere where a collector was asked if one should reject a coin because the ridge on the slab was chipped. Are you kidding? Recently I bought a very nice 1860-D $5 gold with such a chip. It never occurred to me to pass because of that. doh!

There was actually a post somewhere where a collector was asked if one should reject a coin because the ridge on the slab was chipped. Are you kidding?

Believe it or not, he may not be kidding! Indeed, that's basically what motivated my OP. Due to past experience, during the cataloging process, I now have to look at coin AND the slab anymore, precisely because people complain (loudly) about a little chip here, or an oddball scratch there... ON THE SLAB. Seriously, I kid you not, some people really actually do care more about the condition of the slab than the coin inside.

But this led to my recently ongoing observation that the newest PCGS slabs just seem to be more brittle. In fact, I'd wager that the little stacking ridges shatter IF the coins are stacked too tightly!

I received a coin last week that was chipped like you stated.

Not a big deal for me but the last few I've received have had this problem. hm

Seriously, I kid you not, some people really actually do care more about the condition of the slab than the coin inside.

This is quite an exaggeration. I think that the vast majority of coin collectors care about the condition of both the coin and the slab Who wants to look at a nice coin in a scratched up slab?

Seriously, I kid you not, some people really actually do care more about the condition of the slab than the coin inside.

This is quite an exaggeration. I think that the vast majority of coin collectors care about the condition of both the coin and the slab Who wants to look at a nice coin in a scratched up slab?

I can understand not buying a coin due to slab issues IF it is an incredibly common coin or you have an alternative close by Otherwise I really don't think a damaged slab should be cause to pass on a coin.

Conversation overheard at a recent convention:

Buyer: "Do you have any MS69 Florida quarters?"

Dealer: "Yes, we have most of the state quaters"

Buyer: "Do they have the state seal on the slab?"

Dealer: "I don't think so"

Buyer: "Nevermind then"

:facepalm:

The above buyer is precisely the type who would complain about a scratched slab, because the plastic is obviously more important than the coin to them.

Presentation is important, to me. That said, I've purchased some mighty beat-up slabs when they held coins I loved. I then paid to have them reholdered. I see that as a tax I pay for my own OCD, and I don't mind paying it. In fact, just got back 25 coins I had reholdered due to scratched-to-hell multiholders or very old and not cared for slabs. Having fresh edge-view holders to properly display the coins I love is worth $7 or $8 each, again, to me.

One thing I noticed about the slabs in my last couple submissions to PCGS is that the "feel" of the stacking is just a little off, and the slabs squeak when stacked together. They may have altered the plastic composition to make it more tamper-evident. There are some slabs I can open such that I could reclose them without much of a trace, and I'm not just referring to the quick-release ANACS holders, but also older NGC, ANACS, and SEGS holders. Changing the plastic so that it wouldn't survive the trauma of opening a slab would seem a good idea. Anyone notice any differences on crackouts?

I'm not referring to the windows on the slab being scratched. I too have rejected slabs because the windows were badly scratched. I'm taking about the ridge on the back of the slab that is involved with stacking.

I have to start rejecting coins because a small piece of that ridge is broken on the back of the slab, I may as well stop collecting and stop going to shows. Finding good is hard enough these days without some prig getting bent out of shape because an inconsequential piece of plastic is missing from the back of a slab.

Presentation is important, to me. That said, I've purchased some mighty beat-up slabs when they held coins I loved. I then paid to have them reholdered. I see that as a tax I pay for my own OCD, and I don't mind paying it. In fact, just got back 25 coins I had reholdered due to scratched-to-hell multiholders or very old and not cared for slabs. Having fresh edge-view holders to properly display the coins I love is worth $7 or $8 each, again, to me.

(thumbs u

This makes sense to me. It's the coin I'm after. Once its mine then I am fine spending money on the display.

Having fresh edge-view holders to properly display the coins I love is worth $7 or $8 each, again, to me.

It's a lot more than $7 or $8.

I purchased a 1903 McKinley commemorative gold dollar in a messed up PCGS holder at FUN show a couple of years ago. It was too late in the show to get the coin re-holdered there so I gave to them at the show and had the coin shipped to me when it was done. For holder, service fee ($8) and postage and insurance ONE WAY it cost me $38.00 for a coin that had a declared value of $1,100. :o I learned my lesson on that one.

At the last FUN show it cost me $15 to have NGC re-holder a coin for me at the show. New holders are nott cheap.

One thing I noticed about the slabs in my last couple submissions to PCGS is that the "feel" of the stacking is just a little off, and the slabs squeak when stacked together.

YES! That's exactly what I'm talking about! And I think that because there is no tolerance, those have a tendency to break off when stacked, especially if a large stack of coins is jostled around (such as when shipping).

Changing the plastic so that it wouldn't survive the trauma of opening a slab would seem a good idea. Anyone notice any differences on crackouts?

See my OP. That's what I was wondering - whether PCGS had changed the composition of the slabs to make them more difficult to crack cleanly.

The newer slabs maintain their crispness in milk and require less sugar than the old style. They also have a slightly lemon flavor that mixes well with strawberries on your morning cereal. But I really like the extra crunch !

The only thing that I had noticed was reaching PCGS slabs (brand new) that had unsightly weld horn wipes and deformation on the window of the slab and brand new NGC slabs that are chipped right over the the most important details of the devices. I have only paid $30 to have a damaged, nearly opaque, mostly not nearly displaying useless piece of plastic obscure the surface of my most preferred coin feastures with no thought in the world about giving the customer some quality for their money!

You will have to excuse me, I had a TMI about to weeks ago and my typos have suffered accordingly.

The newer slabs maintain their crispness in milk and require less sugar than the old style. They also have a slightly lemon flavor that mixes well with strawberries on your morning cereal. But I really like the extra crunch !

Are you thinking that maybe "The Big One" was actually their new "flavor retention non-gelatinous moisture-resistant exterior coating" that got some press coverage a couple of years ago?