• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 NO P DIME GRADE AND WHEN WILL THEY JUMP?

8 posts in this topic

I would grade that one MS-65, and I would not hold my breath for an increase in price. With most modern coins there is often an initial period when the piece goes up in value after the variety is discovered. Then it settles back and trades in what might be called the quiet area of the market.

Unless this variety goes “main stream” and becomes a widely accepted part of the Roosevelt dime set, the market for it will remain quiet. With many modern coins the motto is, “out of sight, out of mind.” A small number of collectors might be looking for one, but by in large the “action” is on the latest find, and "old finds" lay dormant.

The only exception to this is if the coin happens to be a very rare item, such as a 1969-S doubled die cent. Then the market remains strong. If the supply is fairly large, however, the future is not bright.

The 82 no mm is a mainstream coin for variety collectors. Why would it not raise in value over time? 22 no d, 17 and 36 1c ddo. There are plenty of odd balls in all series which are less known than the ones listed and the 82.

Perhaps if a master numismatic author wrote about it we will not have to wait decades for this as we have others.

The 82 no mm is a mainstream coin for variety collectors. Why would it not raise in value over time? 22 no d, 17 and 36 1c ddo. There are plenty of odd balls in all series which are less known than the ones listed and the 82.

Perhaps if a master numismatic author wrote about it we will not have to wait decades for this as we have others.

The 1922 no D cent is included in many popular coin albums. As such it is a hole for the collector to fill. That drives up prices, which is why the coin is expensive.

If there were a hole for the 1982 no mint mark Roosevelt dime its prices would increase too. For those who want the price of these coins to go up, I'd lobby Dansco and Whitman for an album hole. ;)

I agree the 22 no d does have a different situation. These are just a few examples. There are many varities which are less know which have a following that bring large premiums.

With less than 15k or so it would not take much for the 82 to become very tough to find. I would not expect this to happen overnight (unless it does make it in the album) I am just curious if some one who has watched the markets for many years would feel this to be a decent investment coin for the long haul. Say 15-20 years.

Coin investment is a very speculative venture.

Many years ago the late Malcolm Forbes wrote that "collectors always buy well." I would not use the word "always," but I agree that collectors often do better than pure investors or speculators. Collectors buy coins they like, they study the historical and market aspects of what they buy, and they tend to hold on long enough for their investments to mature. Speculators and investors often get impatient and sell at less than advantageous times.

As dealer I bought a couple of these dimes in a collection. As a collector they did nothing for me. I sold them at the shows and made my profit. I don’t see a lot of collectors rushing out to buy these coins. They will always be better than their ordinary counterparts, but it’s had to say if they will ever take off.

Many collectors, investors, and speculators are drawn to larger coins that are made from gold or silver. Small coins made from base metals, with the exceptions of classic half cents, Indian cents, and Lincoln cents tend to draw fewer followers. Some collectors, like Cladking, who posts on these boards and ATS from time to time love the clad coinage. Others of us, kind of view them as “stuff.”

I don’t see the 1982 plain dime as a prime investment item, but that’s just my opinion. I’m not an avid collector of high priced modern coins. I pay big bucks from older pieces with a fair amount of history behind them.

I can see your point. Fortunately I almost always buy what I like. Unless there is an obvious chance to resell immediately.

This dime is no exception to either. I got it at a low price and could resell. It was also an article I read that got me searching pocket change that got me started collecting. Of course at the time I was just going to get rich off change lol.

In my 1st few days I found a 1980 ddo and a 82 no p. I will post pics below. Of course I sold these immediately. Years later I wanted an example of each due to the influence (right or wrong) they had in my starting. The 1980 proved very tough to find evenyually I found a couple at a decent price. The 82 is always on the bay but always over priced. At my 1st major show last year I found 8. I resold all but 2 on the bay and kept the best 2 for myself. This 1 I will compare to the others and either keep or sale.

Ugly old pics and coins. they went for 30 and 90. The first collectable coins I ever owned and had no respect for them. How far we come.

1982nopclose2-1-1.jpg