• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1888 P - VAM 11A

9 posts in this topic

The VAM search has turned up another Top 100 coin.

This time it's an1888 P.

Doubling of inner and outer ear - with clashing.

I thought this one looked prettty cool.

Image248.jpg

Image246.jpg

The clash on the reverse goes from the eagles wing through the tip of the N in IN.....It looks like there might be lettering transfer on the line of Liberty's neck.

Does anyone have a picture of lettering transfer.

This VAM thing has me rediscovering my collection! (or at least looking at coins I haven't seen in years)

I'm about half way through........

Chris, every time I see a post from you I want to bust open my roll of 2001 D half dollars. Funny, even though I know the chances are very low, the picture of your missing clad layer makes one think.....maybe. (that roll will not remain intact for long!)

This VAM thing has me rediscovering my collection! (or at least looking at coins I haven't seen in years)

I'm about half way through........

Chris, every time I see a post from you I want to bust open my roll of 2001 D half dollars. Funny, even though I know the chances are very low, the picture of your missing clad layer makes one think.....maybe. (that roll will not remain intact for long!)

Funny!

Actually, I found it in a $100 Mixed P&D bag that the Mint began selling in 2004. To my knowledge, there is only one other known, and it too, came from one of these "specialty" bags. This fellow sold his raw on eBay in 2005 for $555. Not bad for a 68c investment, huh!

Chris

Not bad at all, Great find!

On a lesser note, I just picked up an order of $500 in circulated

halves from my bank. Do you think I'll find anything....... worthy of

the search?

Not bad at all, Great find!

On a lesser note, I just picked up an order of $500 in circulated

halves from my bank. Do you think I'll find anything....... worthy of

the search?

Considering how many people have been searching for silver since it skyrocketed in price, I'll be surprised if you find any silver at all.

I used to search two $500 boxes of half dollars every week for a few years when silver was still below $10, but I noticed that some of the coins looked strangely familiar. Then I learned from the head cashier at my BoA branch that they have their own regional facilities providing rolls, and those rolls that I returned were cracked open, verified, rewrapped and went right back into their system. That's when I quit searching.

Chris

I have been to both my bank (Chase) and to my credit union. Neither have rolls for sale other than the new presidential dollars...I don't understand why not.... I have been to multiple branches and gotten the same answer everywhere...

I have been to both my bank (Chase) and to my credit union. Neither have rolls for sale other than the new presidential dollars...I don't understand why not.... I have been to multiple branches and gotten the same answer everywhere...

Most bank customers are not interested in them; thus, the banks do not bothering ordering them. If you are willing to fork out $2000, I am sure that they will order you a box at face value. While my bank agreed that they would purchase other denominations and allow me to buy partial boxes, the bank insisted that I take all $2000 if I wanted to order some. lol

Are there any rolls in particular that you are looking for?