• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1955 Franklin

8 posts in this topic

So, for this GTG, here we have a 1955 Franklin. It has been graded by NGC, but as a continuation of my technical vs. market grading inquiry - I would like you to all describe exactly how you get to the grade that you post. So, describe exactly what you are looking at and which factors you weigh to make your decision. Don't hesitate, I am truly interested in hearing the method you use to grade this coin.

I apologize for my inferior pictures - in hand, the luster is a bit stronger.

IMG_8931.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

I'm giving it a grade of MS 63 with no FBL as it appears that to the left of the liberty bell crack the bell lines are missing for a short chunk. I look at a coin, take my initial impression, and then look closer at each area to see if the initial grade I gave it is consistant or needs adjustment up or down. There is a nice big mark in Franklin's hair and I'm not sure about the spot after the Y in Liberty. The reverse doesn't seem all that well struck (the words on the bell aren't very readable) either so that brings it down slightly in my mind anyway. What does it grade?

It actually grades 66FBL! My terrible pictures must be throwing y'all off, because in hand it fully deserves the 66. These are also some of the strongest bell lines you'll ever see on a 55.

I think the coin has the surfaces of a 66, but the luster (at least based on what we can see in the picture) would constrain the coin to a grade of 65 or 65+ to me. If the luster is there in hand, I don't have a problem with a 66 grade. The strike is all there, and the coin has acceptable eye appeal for the grade.

I first grade technically by examining rim counterclockwise (don't ask me why):

tiny hit on direct left of coin.

Then I look at fields: clear obverse except tiny hairlines on right field.

Then I look at the center: Tiny spots in hair, a good sized hit in hair and a mar on the truncation.

Reverse: spot between LL, mar in luster under eagle, scratches on the strap holding bell, non-FBL dinged on right.

Now I market grade the coin: good luster, not attractive color, average strike.

I come up with MS 65.