• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of the NGC Merc Registry people around.

14 posts in this topic

TDN

I posted a little trinket over on the Coin Board to the thread that is going about pictures. Nothing special but it is pretty I thought. Suprised to even find it here in Oregon. Slim pickins as usual.

Ken

I started a collection of FB Mercs in NGC holders. I then realized how hard it would be to finish the set. So I decided to sell them. It is going slowly, seems like it is one series where there is much more demand for coins in PCGS holders. Hopefully (he says with great self interest) that will change...

The NGC Mercs I have seem very well struck as one would expect of any Merc with a FB designation.

BTW I sold one of those 1945-S Mercs in an NGC 68 holder (not FB) that had super rainbow toning on the reverse. This is from the batch that has the fasces untoned. This is one coin I wish I kept. I'd buy another if I can find one for a great price.

Carl you gave up on the MS Mercs too quickly. Granted they are not real easy to find if you want to do the whole series but the sub sets can be finished without much problem. Wow,I was talking about sub sets, that should give a few folks a little chuckle.

Any way back to the thought I had. I believe the NGC Mercs are beginning to pick up a following also. Granted they go for cheaper prices but there are some very nice looking coins in the holders. In the last couple of months I have picked up a few myself. Also I am still thinking about a coin that a Dealer has. If I decide to get the coin it will for sure knock your socks off. By far it will be the most colorfull coin I own. By now you have probably guessed it also has a steep price tag for the date.

Ken

Ken, glad to see you back posting here. You are right there are some really nice Mercs in NGC holders, surprises me that there aren't more collectors on the forum, especially given that you can collect the set cheaper in NGC.

Thanks Mike.

Have been watching Ebay pretty closely lately and overall I believe the prices are closing some. Sure the folks that put bad pictures up get hammered pretty good sometimes but the price gap is getting closer. More seem to be selling as opposed to 6or 8 months ago.

Now if I could just find the right ones for a little NGC/PCGS Toned Set that is started. No numbers on this set, just good looking original coins.

Ken

I guess I could have gone for a subset (didn't know you were into set theory Ken!). I was trying to get a set in 67 FB. I still have 19, all 1936 or more recent. I was going to have to settle for 64s or non-FBs to keep going. I am in no rush to sell them for cheap as I believe NGC may close the gap slightly pricewise in the coming year...

It was the same with DMPL Morgans. I gave up on gem Buffalos before I even got really started. But I did finish proof Jeffersons! So for me I wanted something I could finish or something I could learn tons on with each coin. So now I am slowly working on a type set as well as always looking for proof Jeffersons.

However there will always be a place in my heart (and collection) for one or two super Mercury dimes. BTW I see that Texas Bullion Traders has one of those '45-S toned, non-FB, NGC Mercs with the white fasces on eBay now. I may bid if it stays under $100...

Hi Ken, Carl, Tony & all,

I just flew in from across the street. This was the first Merc thread I could find to let you all know that I'm here. My Merc sets are registered now, have a look when you get a chance.

Regards,

Wayne