• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TONED COINS

35 posts in this topic

I would like to know if any one knows of a good toned collector forum I could chat on? Lots of fun and usefull info here and I am sure I will be around but I do not feel I share the same taste of coins as the vast majority.

I prefer my coins toned so you shouldn't leave yet. :)

Share your thoughts and experiences around them and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

18683CN_Obv_BlueCC_Combo.jpg

44-D_Merc_Obv_Seller.jpg

Pinnacle_Wisconisn_Obv2.jpg

There are tons.of guys here who love toned coins

Add me to that to that group too. While I'm usually not a fan of "monster" color, I virtually always prefer my coins with some colorful toning.

I picked this up from Bozarth Numismatics. I shot 50 of their coins so I got to see them all in hand. Lots more like it here.

Lance.

8fce4c80.jpg

9d2f1a06.jpg

Im on the phone with Vic as I look at this thread.... How Ironic :banana:

I would like to know if any one knows of a good toned collector forum I could chat on? Lots of fun and usefull info here and I am sure I will be around but I do not feel I share the same taste of coins as the vast majority.

Are you kidding :) ? Look for my threads on my collections of toned Franklins, and toned Peace dollars.

Are you kidding :) ? Look for my threads on my collections of toned Franklins, and toned Peace dollars.

I knew such a thread would make the toners easier to find. None stood out with a few earlier threads and pics.

James I found your thread on peace dollars. I loved your coins. I have been searching hard for some rainbow peace dollars. I went to my 1st major show in pa last summer and the few I found while nice were gouged $1k plus for other wise 50-75 buck coins. I did not see anything raw.

Another thing I enjoyed was the fact they are raw and the fact thay the possibility some may be AT does not bother you. 90% of my collection is raw. Many are problem free that I cracked out a few were the dreaded .91code but were good buys for better dates that I cracked out. I rarely certify any coins.I enjoy having them in hand to better appreciate them. Toners can be difficult to enjoy due to glare.

My budget is tight and the toners make it fun to buy affordable commons that have something extra. If you ever want to sell to a collector who will keep them raw I would be game for a few. If you ever locate any you are not interested in pass on the info.

Jimstar, after you've been on these boards or ATS for a while you'll start to know who likes what as far as toning goes. Then open up ALL their posts and most of the coins they post will be toners. It's about that simple.

shane58dFR.jpg

shane58dFRrev.jpg

If there is a real following for timers, has anyone asked if Arch could setup a seperate forum for toner talk? I am not a toner guy myself (yet) but that's mostly because I don't know what to look for.

If there is a real following for timers, has anyone asked if Arch could setup a seperate forum for toner talk? I am not a toner guy myself (yet) but that's mostly because I don't know what to look for.

That's actually a great idea, and I would like to see your idea implemented. I had also thought about starting my own site, dedicated to toned coins, once I had obtained competence in the area. It would include, among other things, educational articles, galleries of toning patterns, AT detection guides, the science of toning, general forums, etc. Maybe I will have enough time in a year or two (after I have also had the chance to fill in some gaps in knowledge concerning AT detecting and the toning process).

I find toned coins hideous and ugly. I'd never own one....ever. And if anyone does they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. So there.

25c-17d1_1200.jpg

10c-18s_1200.jpg

jom

I find toned coins hideous and ugly. I'd never own one....ever. And if anyone does they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. So there.

25c-17d1_1200.jpg

10c-18s_1200.jpg

jom

Jom, your standing Liberty is over the top beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!