• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1897 Morgan dollar

10 posts in this topic

this is a toned example i picked up a while back.

it is much more colorful in hand.

The real thing i worry about is on the left side of the reverse, near the eagles wing, it appars to have some strange hits going on. they look like dots. how much would these affect the grade?

other then these and the hit above eagles head, there really arent too many major dings......

thoughts?

122215.jpg.5b9cad22d5a6d98ac352443ec21bb034.jpg

122216.jpg.480f9b2a58931b6d4e2b6336a1ebffb4.jpg

1897 P is usually a sharp strike. This coin is not sharply struck. The bag hits on the Reverse detract, but are not a major issue.

MS64 at best. I do like the toning, subtle color adds to the visual appeal.

Carl

That chatter left of the eagles wing looks like a direct hit from another dollars reeded edge. Nice coin though. I'd say MS 64 given that the strike is a bit weak.

Thanks Carl. I need to get a book that tells about each year and mint. I do not know which ones has better strike qualities then others.

Nick

You might want to get the Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by Q. David Bowers and published by Whitman.

Chris

Thanks Carl. I need to get a book that tells about each year and mint. I do not know which ones has better strike qualities then others.

Nick

You might want to get the Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by Q. David Bowers and published by Whitman.

Chris

+1