• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Tribute to Abraham Lincoln - One Day Late

3 posts in this topic

February 12 was Lincoln birthday, and I missed noting it. Here are few Lincoln pieces from my collection of campaign items.

My best Lincoln pieces are medals and medalets from his 1860 and 1864 presidential campaigns. I have a fairly large number of pieces in my collection. Here are some of my favorites.

Lincoln, the Rail Splitter, from his 1860 campaign.

AL186010O.jpg

AL186010R.jpg

Lincoln's 1860 campaign called for the restriction of slavery to the states where it already existed. This 1860 medalet presents that position. The dies were made by Worcester, Massachusetts die sinker, Charles Lang.

AL186055O.jpgAL186055R.jpg

This 1864 piece features Lincoln's nick name, "Honest Old Abe," which he acquired when he was living in Illinois. The reverse slogan, “Freedom to all men,” was non-confrontational way to call for the end of slavery. The hole is okay for pieces like this because it indicates that the medalet may have been worn during the election campaign.

AL1864-4O.jpg

AL1864-5R.jpg

This is the Lincoln - Union League medalet. The Union League was organized during the Civil War to promote the election of pro-Union candidates. Originally it supported candidates from both parties but subsequently because a staunchly Elephant Party organization.

AL1864-32Ojpg.jpg

AL1864-32R.jpg

And here is the face of the die that was used to strike the medalet I displayed above. This is only one of five original Civil War tokens dies that are know to our hobby. William Key, a well-known Philadelphia, Pennsylvania die sinker, made this tool. Key later landed a job at the Philadelphia mint.

AL1864-32Die.jpg