• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling Condor101... Slab Question..

4 posts in this topic

Independent Numismatic Laboratory Inc. What can you tell me about them? I got one of their slabs yesterday. I assume it is pretty rare today? Coin is graded MS 64 / 65 but the coin is AU something. The date on this one is 11-22-85

A short lived service that apparently was only around from late 1985 through mid 1986. They were located in New York and used two varieties of holder. I've seen maybe a dozen examples in two groups of issuing period. The first grouping was from 10/85 to 12/85 and was of the first variety. The second group dated between March 86 and May 86 and were the second variety. Fastest and easiest way to tell the two varieties apart is to look for the ANA symbol in the lower right hand corner.

I suspect due to the similarity of the holders and the text that INL may have been a predecessor of FCS Federal Certification Service which operated from late 1986 through mid 1989.

I think they are cool to have because they are part of the history of slabbing, but currently there are not enough people interested in collecting the slab varieties other than those of the major services for them to carry a premium for the holder.