• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning of a Kennedy Half in a Dansco album

5 posts in this topic

John Curlis asked about this so instead of hijacking James' quarter thread I thought I'd post my Dansco toned Kennedy story here.

Here's the Kennedy half that was placed in a Dansco holder from 1993 to about 1999. This photo was taken in probably 2001 or so.

50c-82p.jpg

Here is the same Kennedy half with the photo taken last May.

50c-82p_A.jpg

I had this coin in a specific place in the holder (a center hole...not the edge) from about 1993 to about 1999 when the photo was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 950 (pretty old camera now). Then I placed the coin back in the same hole in the folder for a couple of years and it changed to the photo I showed earlier. I don't remember exactly how long it was in the Dansco again (2006 to 2008 maybe?) but I pulled it when I saw the change. The photo I showed earlier was taken last May with a Nikon 3100.

Note: don't be fooled by the different color because their certainly could be differences in white balance of the photographs. Just note how the toning changed.

Also, as I mentioned some state quarters than I have in Danscos have begun to tone. The earlier dates 1999, 2000 etc. more than the later dates. In my case I have TWO sets where one folders is reacting a lot more than the other. Sorry, no photos.

Also, in NO case have I had ANY silver based coin tone in any of my Danscos....I'm not sure why this is but there you have it.

jom

Dansco does a nice job on clads... not on silver though. That toning is still rare to find though...

I imagine that out of that entire JFK album only a handful, if that, actually toned. For some reason, from the old Dansco albums I have looked it, only a couple of coins will tone like your JFK while the rest will remain unaffected or in some cases only get a brown/golden hue to them.

Dansco does a nice job on clads... not on silver though. That toning is still rare to find though...

I imagine that out of that entire JFK album only a handful, if that, actually toned. For some reason, from the old Dansco albums I have looked it, only a couple of coins will tone like your JFK while the rest will remain unaffected or in some cases only get a brown/golden hue to them.

Actually, that is SPOT ON in my case. I think it was 5 or 6 Kennedys that were affected (clads) the rest (including any silver) did NOTHING. This was a holder with UNCs from 1964 to 1993 or so. P and D mints. No proofs in set.

Ike set: Nada

Washington State Quarter: Early dates in ONE of the two sets some browning. The other set: NADA so far.

jom

If anyone does know about Dansco toning here are a couple of more examples. Both are 71-P Ikes in MS64. The first is a recent sale on eBay and second one is mine.

1d-71p_A.jpg

1d-71p.jpg

Note the similar toning. VERY typical of Dansco toned coins.

jom

In addition to toned Peace $ I am always looking for toned JFKs, Ike's and now toned SBAs with Dansco toning. They are all hard to find but I imagine prices will take off in the next 10 yrs as other toned coins begin to appreciate in value like I have seen toned Peace $ sky rocket from 10 yrs ago...

Just found my first canvas bag textile toned Ike... so given the time frame it looks like we are coming into the age of toning on these coins.

For the state quarters I imagine we have another 10-20 yrs to go before we start seeing some really nice Dansco toning on them. Again, this is prefaced on the temp and humidity of where the coins are stored. It may be sooner.