• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I resubmit?

14 posts in this topic

The steps do look full; however, I am a bit concerned about the tick that traverses the bottom two steps. To a purist, this would preclude a FS designation; however, the grading services are sometimes forgiving if the tick isn't too deep. You would probably still receive a FS designation on a regrade or designation review.

With this said, I would personally leave the coin in its holder. While it is impossible to render a grading opinion without larger images of both sides of the coin, I doubt that you will have a MS68, and in any event you will lose the allure of the old NGC "no line fatty" holder that is highly sought after by collectors. Moreover, the difference between FS and non-FS MS67 nickels is around a $100 or so, and a sizeable portion of this difference (assuming that you received retail prices) would be consumed by the regarding/review fees and shipping and handling.

Can you submit for an appearance review or new holder to get the fs cheap. Assuming you are not cracking out for a 68fs.

I'm looking for FS Jim, I only paid $22 for it a few years ago.

What would you do? It's definetly FS.

Thanks as always,

Ray

PCGS shows MS 67 $50.00

MS 67 FS $185.00 The 1941 D usually comes hammered, so a full step nickel, while nice is not as tough as others. For the risk involved, I would not resubmit. You are spending $30+ to get an upgrade of maybe $100 on a good day. If you want it for a registry set well then that is something else. I would leave it alone and CAC it if anything.

The coin resides in an NGC generation 5 slab (circa 1992-1995). NGC did not start recognizing 5FS until February 2004. The steps look full to me and this coin seems to be a no brainer for 5FS designation review which is only $12. Your biggest problem is probably going to be S&H charges.

I would not bother with a regrade. This coin does not appear to have the requisite luster to garner a + grade and there is no chance it will get upgraded. NGC has not graded any 1941-D Jefferson Nickels MS68 to date.

If you are planning on selling it I would resubmit for the 5FS designation. If you want it for registry purposes, I would not since it will only get you 16 more registry points.

The 1940-D & 1941-D are the best struck regular issue Jefferson Nickels and are commonly found with 6FS.

BTW, nice coin!

PCGS shows MS 67 $50.00

MS 67 FS $185.00 The 1941 D usually comes hammered, so a full step nickel, while nice is not as tough as others. For the risk involved, I would not resubmit. You are spending $30+ to get an upgrade of maybe $100 on a good day. If you want it for a registry set well then that is something else. I would leave it alone and CAC it if anything.

I'll have to agree with you Bruce, probably not worth it.

Thanks for the B-day wishes!

Ray