• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPI Registry

26 posts in this topic

I won't be playing just because most of my coins are raw and aren't worth slabbing, but I'd love to see some pictures of the coins going into the sets or any raw ones. Here's a couple centavos that I have. The 1908S would probably go AU58. It still has a full cartwheel, even though it's subdued, but there is a touch of rub on the high points.

1908spi1cl.jpg

1944spi1cl.jpg

My scans don't look so great, but here's my raw 1903 1/2 centavo. I don't know if it's worth slabbing to add to my registry. It's good enough for my unregistry, though.

2c.JPG' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>.JPG'>

The reverse on the earlier coins is far more impressive than the 1944. Wonder why they were making the eagle smaller? Political?

Hoot

They switched to the coat of arms reverse after they became a Commonwealth in 1935. Maybe the smaller eagle represents the smaller role the U.S. had in the governing of the Philippines?

They switched to the coat of arms reverse after they became a Commonwealth in 1935. Maybe the smaller eagle represents the smaller role the U.S. had in the governing of the Philippines?

That was my thought, but I wonder if it's true... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

The only thing I found online was an explanation of the the Republic Arms, where the US eagle and the Spanish lion are shown lower on the shield to signify the history of the country.

Here's an early 5 centavos...

494675-1903pi5cl2.jpg

494675-1903pi5cl2.jpg.d6f7298beeecf6731ece7f32afd2dfd7.jpg

Mental note: Take a photo of my USPI coins this weekend...I've got some old [!@#%^&^]!

I've got some old [!@#%^&^]!

Like this?

496546-pipc.jpg

No, better. Remind me this weekend. Thx!

Cool. Remind me to remind you. OK?

OK, remind me to remind you to remind me, OK? Thx. thumbsup2.gif

Even I have a US/Philippines peso hanging aroound my box of assorted stuff:

496578-USpeso.jpg

I've seen Shiroh's set and it's really quite nice. thumbsup2.gif

Why not post one of the Spanish/Philippines coins? I thought that was neat-o!

-JamminJ

I'll bet they are, Jammin'!

Mental note: Remind TJ to go down and take pictures of Shiroh's coins this weekend. Thx.

My action item was to post pics of my Philippine coins this weekend. Well, sorry, turns out they are in 2x2's in an album and just too much trouble to photograh. So, instead here is a list of my entire Philippines under U.S. Sovereignty coin collection (quantaties of each not mentioned):

One Centavo: 1911-S, 1929-M, 1933-M, 1938-M, 1940-M, 1944-S

Five Centavo: 1944

Ten Centavo: 1944-D

Twenty Centavo: 1944-D

Fifty Centavo: 1907-S, 1918-S, 1944-S

But, since we need a nice picture, here are some bills from the WWII period. I couldn't find a date on the bills even with my magnifying glass. But they are WWII era.

And this being Memorial Weekend, let me add that my Dad, Captain Hugh Jennings, brought all these coins and bills back and many more not mentioned here while he was fighting the Good Fight in the South Pacific, and he received the Purple Heart for being wounded by shrapnel in the Dutch East Indies.

Dad, this Memorial Weekend, 2004, I thank you for your contribution to the war effort. I have copies of your letters that, as Captain, you wrote to wives and parents, informing them of the death of their husbands and sons. Must not have been easy. You never spoke much about this time in your life to me. But reading your papers now that you have passed I realize you served your country well.

OK, here's the bills.

497871-pillipino.jpg

Excellent post, TJ! Thanks.

My thanks to Captain Jennings, as well.

The upper note is a 1944 2 Peso Victory issue, which comes in two varieties, with yours ebing the more common one signed by Osemena and Hernandez, valued $1.00 in VG, $2.00 in VF and $12.50 in UNC.

The lower note is a 1 Peso, also of the 1944 Victory series, values at $0.75 in VG, $1.50 in VF, and $6.00 in UNC.

Nice story and thanks to Cap'n J for his service. thumbsup2.gif

-JamminJ