• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Grading Results posted by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The grading results are back for the 1903 Proof Peso that I submitted to NGC.

NGC gave the coin a grade of PF64. In my opinion this coin is a solid PF65 and possibly PF66 so I may resubmit it at a later date, particularly if I can do so during a Meet the Grader Session at one of the ANA shows. in the past I have had some luck with having undergraded proofs upgraded and this beauty certainly deserves another review.

While the PF 64 rating is disappointing it is still a beautiful coin and far superior in eye appeal to the PF63 coin currently in the 1903-1906 Peso slot in my Registry Sets.

Even with the PF64 rating I will still pick up an additional 279 points for my USA/Philippines Type Set:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=51257

When I add the PF64 Peso to my Registry Sets I will have enough points to move my USA/Philippine Type Set to the second ranked set in its category.

Proof 64 Large Pesos are still pretty rare birds particularily ones with great eye appeal. The NGC population for the 1903 Peso in PF64 is 5 coins with only 23 specimens graded higher. The PCGS population is a little higher at 27/21. With a combined NGC/PCGS population of 32/44 a 1903 PF64 Peso is still a VERY RARE (R-7) coin and a nice addition to my collection.

As soon as I get the High Resolution (300 DPI) images back from NGC I will post pictures in a Journal entry and you can make your own judgement regarding the grade.

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection