• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Joy in a Peace Dollar Set

6 posts in this topic

One thing I have seen at many shows I have set up at recently and online is people stepping back to something affordable they love to collect thats fun and they can be proud of which they have a reasonable chance to complete a set without breaking the bank. It could be Franklin Halves or Something like Peace Dollars, or even some favorite commem seres like Oregon or Texas halves.

As far as Numismatic coins, I have been focusing on material for the budget minded collector as I have seen many people just saying no to big ticket material over $500 (unless its USM products or Bullion). One Example - The 24 piece set of Peace Dollars (not counting Vams, etc) can be easily completed in AU 50 to MS 65 (common dates) for less than $500 even for the most expensive issues. Comman date MS 65's can be had in the $200 range and many issues in AU50 for under $60. I have been picking these up as I go along and staying away from ultra expensive higher grade coins where there is a significant bumpup in price for the higher grade piece. The people I see buying these are looking to fill the hole inexpensively, then upgrade later on. I focus on NGC / PCGS pieces which I can easily stack easily by date / mm in a 24 coin display. I have even bought some off the Bay over my Iphone from my office which were good deals. Its a fun way to buy coins.

The 1928 in AU is popular at $475-$550 as this issue jumps to $5,000 in MS65 and a stomper $25,000 in MS66 (CW Trends). A 1923 can be had for around $200 In MS 65. So people are concentrating on filling holes with the best quality they can afford and then leaving room to upgrade on the more expensive dates.

Another fellow who purchased a 1950 NGC PF 65 Franklin from me and indicated he is completing a set of the proofs with a view towards upgrade to Cameos. He already has some of the less expensive dates in PF Cameo. I asked him about his preferences as far as eye appeal and he indicated he wants spot free pieces with as little toning as possible and no major marks. A guy from Arizona purchased a 1928 NGC 58 from me. Thanking him for his business I joked - "Ever think you would pick up a 66 at some point in time (a $25K coin). He said "Are you freaking kidding me, make some coin dealer rich, that pays for my Dodge Challenger." We both laughed and we agreed the Challenger is a cool muscle car.

One thing I have seen at many shows I have set up at recently and online is people stepping back to something affordable they love to collect thats fun and they can be proud of which they have a reasonable chance to complete a set without breaking the bank. It could be Franklin Halves or Something like Peace Dollars, or even some favorite commem seres like Oregon or Texas halves.

As far as Numismatic coins, I have been focusing on material for the budget minded collector as I have seen many people just saying no to big ticket material over $500 (unless its USM products or Bullion). One Example - The 24 piece set of Peace Dollars (not counting Vams, etc) can be easily completed in AU 50 to MS 65 (common dates) for less than $500 even for the most expensive issues. Comman date MS 65's can be had in the $200 range and many issues in AU50 for under $60. I have been picking these up as I go along and staying away from ultra expensive higher grade coins where there is a significant bumpup in price for the higher grade piece. The people I see buying these are looking to fill the hole inexpensively, then upgrade later on. I focus on NGC / PCGS pieces which I can easily stack easily by date / mm in a 24 coin display. I have even bought some off the Bay over my Iphone from my office which were good deals. Its a fun way to buy coins.

The 1928 in AU is popular at $475-$550 as this issue jumps to $5,000 in MS65 and a stomper $25,000 in MS66 (CW Trends). A 1923 can be had for around $200 In MS 65. So people are concentrating on filling holes with the best quality they can afford and then leaving room to upgrade on the more expensive dates.

Another fellow who purchased a 1950 NGC PF 65 Franklin from me and indicated he is completing a set of the proofs with a view towards upgrade to Cameos. He already has some of the less expensive dates in PF Cameo. I asked him about his preferences as far as eye appeal and he indicated he wants spot free pieces with as little toning as possible and no major marks. A guy from Arizona purchased a 1928 NGC 58 from me. Thanking him for his business I joked - "Ever think you would pick up a 66 at some point in time (a $25K coin). He said "Are you freaking kidding me, make some coin dealer rich, that pays for my Dodge Challenger." We both laughed and we agreed the Challenger is a cool muscle car.

Some might think that your approach has a numismatic Barracuda feel; some would claim that your market approach gets their Goat; some would think your marketing ideas could use a good formula 409 cleaning; some would just say there is always a Mustang in the numismatic market; some would say you are batting 500; some would say marketing approaches like this is why all Dealers are rich and retire on Capri; some would say you are stinging the Market like a Bee, some would say your marketing Dart hit the center and scored 440; some would say your approach is a Stingray to less forward thinking Dealers......

Me, I say I would rather run with a Jaguar, than with a Beetle.

Great marketing advice. Many can benefit from your approach. It is a new Nova.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I turned down a really nice 1928 Peace dollar in non-certified AU-58 last night. It was only $410. I agree that this particular series is exceptionally affordable in reasonable grades.

Bang for the buck maxes out in Kennedy half-dollar series, in my opinion. Tons of coins, they are all big and available, and unslabbed, a huge set fits very conveniently into a single album.

I just started a Peace Dollar set. I'll get an XF orAU 28 when I find a decent deal. Great set, easy to complete, a winner in every respect.

Later

Malcolm

They are fun to buy and who knows where silver will go. I stay away from the expensive grades (on the better dates where the next grade point up costs huge multiples) getting the best quality / value I can but don't pass up inexpensive XF / AU coins either. They make a great display (24 slots for the 24 dates stacked up) in my case at a show as folks will stop to look if I have a date they want. Many are acquiring these to put in their albums, etc.

Some might think that your approach has a numismatic Barracuda feel; some would claim that your market approach gets their Goat; some would think your marketing ideas could use a good formula 409 cleaning; some would just say there is always a Mustang in the numismatic market; some would say you are batting 500; some would say marketing approaches like this is why all Dealers are rich and retire on Capri; some would say you are stinging the Market like a Bee, some would say your marketing Dart hit the center and scored 440; some would say your approach is a Stingray to less forward thinking Dealers......

Me, I say I would rather run with a Jaguar, than with a Beetle.

Great marketing advice. Many can benefit from your approach. It is a new Nova.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, I am pleased to see a muscle car enthusiast emerge from the shadows. Your post made me smile in remembrance of the "good old days" but, blah,blah,blah, I am an old sports cats car fanatic and appreciated the jaguar reference as the XKE has always been my dream car. Thanks for for your humorous interjection. The best to you Ron