• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1944-P Jefferson Nickel

Guess the Assigned Grade  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Guess the Assigned Grade

37 posts in this topic

Then I would say the 65+ is overgraded and should be a 65-

I would additionally say the original coin in question is overgraded by about a point and a FS. The highest I would go on this would be 66, no FS.

How can you justify FS on this coin with that huge mark?

Shallow marks on the steps do not automatically preclude a full step designation. I doubt that NGC would grade this coin full steps but I don't really have a problem with PCGS grading it so. Now the second photograph, that is a huge mark.

JN1944-PPCGSsteps.jpg

JN1943-DNGCMS67Steps1.jpg

The mark under the second pillar on that coin is shallow and does not interrupt the steps. I submit that if the huge mark were not there, PCGS would have graded the second coin FS. I am not saying you have to agree with it, only recognize the standard that they use. As a FBL Franklin Half collector, surely you can do that while still holding to your own standard. Personally, I don't hold full steps in that high regard so using a holistic method of grading them works for me.

BTW, do you see the mark above the E in CENTS on the second coin? That coin was graded MS67.

JN1943-DNGCMS67.jpg

it doesn't look like a $5K Jefferson to me, but I guess I haven't seen any that I know of, it sure is clean and complete for a 44-P.

the darker toning on the bottom obverse, on the lower jacket - are any of those spots PVC?

If you put poker chips under the slab it helps capture the color :D

Without the chip to angle the coin in the light, it looks like this:

JN1944-PPCGSMS67FS3.jpg

Please note how insignificant the mark on the steps under the second pillar looks from this angle.

I am not good at this at all even when I set my browser to 400%.. I do not know if the marks on the chin are from ths slab or not. But it's a nice coin.

The marks on the jawline are remnant planchet flaws which don't detrimentally affect the grade of the coin.

it doesn't look like a $5K Jefferson to me, but I guess I haven't seen any that I know of, it sure is clean and complete for a 44-P.

the darker toning on the bottom obverse, on the lower jacket - are any of those spots PVC?

Well, there is no doubt that I overpaid courtesy of the PCGS registry competition. I am hoping to recoup some of the cost by selling the remaining coins in the set and my NGC MS67 5FS 1944-P.

That toning pattern and color scheme is pretty common. Pretty much every coin in the set had that same general toning pattern indicating that they were all stored in the same album. There is no PVC.

I apologize if I knocked a high ticket purchase for you - I was guessing probable value based on pop of only 10 in 67 - and was assuming you made or upgraded this, rather than wrote a large check, as I don't remember seeing it in any auctions recently.

I apologize if I knocked a high ticket purchase for you - I was guessing probable value based on pop of only 10 in 67 - and was assuming you made or upgraded this, rather than wrote a large check, as I don't remember seeing it in any auctions recently.

I didn't think you were knocking it at all. I assumed you knew how much I paid from my Journal entry.