• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln penny error coins

11 posts in this topic

I have been going thru a bank bag of pennies I bought from my local Bank Of America last month, and I have found dozens or so wheaties, canadian cents and 1 dime and a canadian quarter. Its a once every 3 month activity for me to buy a bank bag of $50 in pennies.

I found a bunch of pennies so far that are mint errors, from off-center, to a 1999 wide A M. My question is if some of the error pennies I have would be accepted by NGC. I know the wide A M cent would be but I'm wondering more about pennies like a 1982 D lincoln penny that has a slit around the edge of the coin in the northwest going from "liberty" to the "I" in "In God We Trust".

Anyone know what NGC considers mint errors or what they will accept to be graded?

Thanks

Dave

Hi, Dave!

First, I assume that these are all circulated coins, and we would need good photos of some, like the 82-D, to determine whether or not it is PMD.

Specimens like the 99 Wide AM are pretty common, and it would be my guess that most would not be worth submitting for certification. There is a large variety of error types, and NGC would probably certify most, but again, the question is whether it is worth it or not to submit them.

Chris

Please post pictures. From what you describe, what you have is not actually an off center coin, but is call a misaligned die. These are incredibly common, and not worth a premium. If you post pictures, I can give you more information.

The off-center may be worth slabbing if they are in MS condition.

Off-centers are rarely worth slabbing. The cost to slab is usually higher than the value of the coin.

The off-center may be worth slabbing if they are in MS condition.

Off-centers are rarely worth slabbing. The cost to slab is usually higher than the value of the coin.

Absolutely correct. For example, I paid $6 for this one:

JPER43obverse.jpg

Dave,

I used to search cent bags frequently. As others have mentioned, the "errors" you mentioned are not incredibly valuable and probably not worth slabbing - BUT, a great place to sell some of this material is Ebay. I ended up selling all of the minor "errors" and odd coins to a guy who then put them individually on Ebay and received way over fair market value for them. Personally, it was not worth my time to take detailed pics of so many coins to sell, but it was definitely worth my time searching, collecting, and appreciating them! I found a lot of things that I thought were really cool at the time and had fun showing them to friends.

If you are searching these bags anyway, you might want to set aside pre1982 cents and sell them to the guys who are hoarding copper cents. The profit margin isn't great, but if you are taking the time to search anyway, you might as well. When I was doing it there was a local guy who would give me $75 for a $50 bag of copper cents.

HC- Thats what I was planning on doing. I finished going through the $50 in pennies and I have around 3 dozen that are atleast 10% off center. I sold the 1999 wide "AM" to a dealer here. RAW he gave me $230 for it. Then I used some of that money to buy 10 BU 1968-S DDO cents he had. He has 9 1/2 rolls of those errors that were all in a bank bag he purchased on

Ebay for $70. I am going to bring the 10 I have to the Collectorama in Lakeland on friday, and have either ANACS or ICG grade them.

Anyone else going to the coin show there?

I am considering buying 2 rolls of those 1968S DDO cents the dealer has and sending 10 each month to be graded. He wants $600 per BU roll. Do you think I should try to work his price down a little or he is asking fair market value?

Thanks!

-Dave

Anyone know what NGC considers mint errors or what they will accept to be graded?

...i'm curious to know also. is the cherrypickers' guide book entries part of the deciding factor hm

I am still looking thru the last bank bag lol. I found a couple nice off centered coins but what made my day was a 1983 DDR. I brought it my my friends coin shop today and he said its not the main 1983 DDR but it is a doubled die reverse. I am going to take the advice and list them on Ebay, I know someone out there has an interest in off center cents and "poor man" errors!

Halfpint, I would like to know also. Knowing how NGC grades error coins and what their standards are would be nice. I don't want to waste $30 sending a coin to them to have it rejected. But the 1989S DDO's I am bringing to the Lakeland Center tomorrow for the coinorama to have either ICG or ANACS grade them. Who should I choose?