• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Deed Is Done

52 posts in this topic

Perhaps this is a sign to all of us that we should step back and take a look at why we are in this hobby. It is easy to get caught up in the registry fever and steer your collecting away from why we started collecting and more towards a compulsion to buy a coin because of its point value. I do enjoy the registry but more in a social way. I will never have a top set and I'm ok with that because it is just a hobby.

Maybe I crossed the line a little bit Schatzy, and I am sorry for that. All I am trying to say is that, for some of us, building our registries took years and we were proud to display them to other collectors. Really, the registries are a recognition of our accomplishments and goals in the hobby.

Please don't remove you set based on what I said.

It is very disheartening to have all that hard work go down the tubes for the sake of corporate profit. To build something for years and years, only to have it removed overnight, lends one to the self-realization that perhaps he (or she) has been wasting all their time on collecting and displaying 'the best coins'.

I will pick up a raw coin here and there, but having my registry sets decimated has forced me to re-evaluate my priorities - and whether or not my portfolio is overexposed with coins.

Augustus

It is all good.

Just put your self in NGC shoes. They pay someone to add PCGS coins to the registry

everyday. It is an easy process with NGC coins but they have to check everything

before they can add the PCGS coin. I think they have been very nice letting people use

both NGC and PCGS. Just think of how much money they have put into the registry.

It's a major service because it has large community participation. I was there at the beginning of the World competitive registry and helped define some of the sets, as did a lot of other world coin collectors. Quite a few of us were active promoters from that point on. Our opinions were solicited when NGC wanted to be competitive and create world registry to attract additional collectors, but completely ignored when a significant change to this service was decided.

Oh, and James, if both PCGS and NGC decided to remove forums it would not affect your enjoyment of this hobby? I find that hard to believe coming from someone with over 13,000 posts.

I think 2K has been hitting the nail on the head in this thread. This is a big deal because there is a large community who chooses to enjoy collecting through use of the Registry. Is it for everyone? No. But some people (myself included) greatly enjoy using the registry - we enjoy the competition, we enjoy sharing our collection, and we enjoy seeing other collections and learning. If the Registries were completely shut down, would I stop collecting? No, but it would significantly change my collecting habits and goals.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! It is how I choose to enjoy the hobby. Not everyone does the same thing as you - some enjoy their coins raw, some like them slabbed, some like playing in the Registry. I also choose to participate in these forums - something I greatly enjoy doing. My enjoyment of the hobby would be seriously impeded if these forums were to shut down (I would have to find a new forum, establish a reputation there, learn a whole new cast of characters, etc.). Just because people choose to enjoy the hobby differently, doesn't mean they are wrong.

I have never done the registry thing but I feel sad for those that are having to deal with all this stuff. I have thought of doing the US registry but now I don't wish to risk that changes will be made there as well.

Actually James--the point was that I WAS collecting the coins instead of the slab. Always hunting down the nicest coin with the finest eye-appeal or a coin that will fill a remaining hole in a set.

It is NOW that the registry here has stated that I must collect a certain slab to participate and can no longer choose the nicest coin if I wish to list it.

Also, there is no money issue with me- I do not collect for the value ( I'm planning on leaving them to an heir anyhow). The point that angered me was that I wanted to build a complete set and have them displayed- regardless of rankings too.

It was about freedom to choose the nicest coin, regardless of the slab--and then to fill slots in a presentation of my collection for fellow collectors ( and yes, the pride of completion also). However now my sets will have permanent "holes" when displayed in the registry.

And finally, I was just plain insulted by the lame reasoning that NGC tried to pass off. Just tell the cold hard truth-- they wanted to monopolize an area of the TPG industry and tap into extra profits--and maybe even garner some crossover business in the deal also.

A logical solution would have been to grandfather in existing coins ( there is no "burden" upon them to try and attribute or navigate the horrible confusion since the coins are already there). At worst...and still fine with me because I don't do this for the competition--just let us use our PCGS coins as slot fillers but assign no points..At least I could Present a complete set if I actually own one of each coin--again, regardless of the slab.

I will still enjoy the hobby--make no mistake, I have been filling thumbbusters since the late 1960's- and I still have raw sets I fill..I just have lost the registry as an augmentation to my collecting enjoyment...

Asd you can see, the coins I have raw far surpass my registered coins..just a few albums ( some, like Walkers, I have built albums in BU, one in AU/XF and one in F/VF).....so please don't question my love of coins and think that I'm a slab buyer......

121279.jpg.5ed2eedf8a90de2314c2a7f16b2adf15.jpg

121280.jpg.ade354225cdeb80717d981ac23713dd0.jpg

121281.jpg.07e763767f776f1fa6470de8fc75faf1.jpg

121282.jpg.29cb9513a54fb7320d1ed5e8ea2a58bd.jpg

Jackson, I may have overreacted a little then. It sounded to me like you were considering a complete separation from the hobby. I sincerely hope that does not happen!

In the past, I have frequently that someone (but NOT PCGS, NGC, or any other grading company) could make money by sponsoring a truly impartial registry system that accepted coins from any legitimate grading resource, be it a TPG, or EAC, or whatever. The main drawback that's always stopped me is that there would like need to be.... yet.... another... "verifier" who confirms that the grade is reasonable (NOT CAC though), and that's an added layer of expense.

Anyhow... just a thought.

I love this hobby and the people associated with it. I started collecting over 40 years ago and I am not going to let NGC, PCGS, or POTUS get me down. I use the registry sets as a modern version of the old whitman folders and I buy slabs because I want the value to hold when my daughter inherits the set. If they eliminated all the PCGS coins from my U.S. sets tomorrow, it would not matter a whit because the sets would still be complete. Coin collecting is not a competitive sport, it is a hobby by which we garner enjoyment.

So There!!!

Malcolm

I have seen a few folks upset because "They don't care about the rankings, they just want to be able to share all there coins in one spot"

You can still put PCGS coins in a custom set and display them that way. Well, that solves that problem...

I have seen a few folks upset because "They don't care about the rankings, they just want to be able to share all there coins in one spot"

You can still put PCGS coins in a custom set and display them that way. Well, that solves that problem...

But what about the NGC coins are they allowed too?? Since our sets are mixed we would have to have a site that allows both.

Also I agree with THE BEAV about the sets and the joy it brings but the registry set just makes it more exciting but let there be NO DOUBT thet I would much like him continue with or with them. The excitement, history & investment potential will always be there.

You can still put PCGS coins in an NGC custom set and display them that way. Well, that solves that problem...

For clarification.

Alot of angst is being directed towards NGC simply because they chose to do what PCGS has been doing for decades. Why not also slam PCGS?

But then again, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever of competing for collecting and so I can't even begin to conceptualize this issue at all. (shrug)

• Administrator

Actually, custom sets are pretty easy to build.

If, when you removed your registry sets, you did not also remove the coins from your inventory, then it's pretty straight forward.

1. Go to "my collection" at the top, and then "collection manager"

2. Select the coins you want in the set from your list (HINT: you can use the search boxes at the top of the spreadsheet to better find your coins).

3. Click "add to custom set" at the bottom of the screen.

4. Give the set a name and description.

You're done. Images and coin descriptions from your competitive sets should be there waiting.

Ray, do you think I am stupid enough to spend weeks rebuilding all my sets in the 'Custom Sets' section, after spending years building them in the registry?

Do you think I am going to the safe-deposit boxes to take all new pictures, redo all the descriptions of the coins, and spend all that time rebuilding the sets on a different section of the registry?

Your solution works for someone with a few coins, but believe me, the top collectors aren't going to rifle through their entire collection all over again.

Me personaly, I love to look at and rediscover my coins on a somewhat regular basis. I own the because I actually enjoy my coins which is why I own them. And I have more than just a few coins.

Then again, as Arch said, You can just transfer your coins into a custom set, description,pictures and all unless you deleted the coins themselves.

Actually, custom sets are pretty easy to build.

If, when you removed your registry sets, you did not also remove the coins from your inventory, then it's pretty straight forward.

1. Go to "my collection" at the top, and then "collection manager"

2. Select the coins you want in the set from your list (HINT: you can use the search boxes at the top of the spreadsheet to better find your coins).

3. Click "add to custom set" at the bottom of the screen.

4. Give the set a name and description.

You're done. Images and coin descriptions from your competitive sets should be there waiting.

Thanks Arch from bringing some sanity into this thread. Augustus and his like fellows are making much ado about nothing, and deflecting any voice of reason. It is good to see you post in on this.

Best, HT

Alot of angst is being directed towards NGC simply because they chose to do what PCGS has been doing for decades. Why not also slam PCGS?

But then again, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever of competing for collecting and so I can't even begin to conceptualize this issue at all. (shrug)

I think we have established many times, that the problem is that the rules were changed halfway through - with little notification.

It is done now anyways, most of the best world collections are gone out of the registry.

On a positive note, here is a nice coin to enjoy. Best, HT

1829dNGCAU55comp.jpg

Well I guess if its not all about points, then we will start to see some custom sets...

I plan on making one this year just waiting till I get all 100 coins.

I think we have established many times, that the problem is that the rules were changed halfway through - with little notification.

It is done now anyways, most of the best world collections are gone out of the registry.

On a positive note, here is a nice coin to enjoy. Best, HT

1829dNGCAU55comp.jpg

Sweet Bust Dime, love the toning. The slab doesn't matter. The coin is the point.

Carl

• Administrator
Well I guess if its not all about points, then we will start to see some custom sets...

I plan on making one this year just waiting till I get all 100 coins.

Just a note (if you didn't already know). When you build a custom set, you can actually create "WANT" coins and add them to that set to help you flesh out what you're building towards. It may, of course, be your preference to only reveal the completed work, but I thought I'd mention the other option.

The topic is more than nothing to a lot of folks. The registry has became a really important part of the fun of collecting. A change in rules took away part of that fun for many, based on all the threads and post on the topic. I understand why so many are upset.

Rules change in life all of the time and as far as this one goes, it is pretty minimal and low in impact in the ebb and flow. This is being played out to levels that is detracting from the boards, folks like Augustus has so many threads complaining. I have no doubt that NGC has registered the complaint and it is time to move on IMHO.

So on a positive note, here is a nice coin image:

1829hcNGCMS64-1.jpg

I can't believe I'm actually going to comment on this matter...

When I first joined here and ATS, I did participate in the registry. Lite-side stuff. Those who know me know that I have a serious financial commitment to this hobby.

Over time, I stopped caring about the registry. I collect coins, nice coins, not points, slabs or entries. Since then, I've re-acquired my joy in this hobby. The history, the artistry and the simple thrill of the chase is glorious!

Since going into dark-side stuff, I've more than doubled my enjoyment. New folks with whom to share my joy. New areas to learn and in which to immerse myself. Most of my dark-side stuff is holdered as a matter or practicality, but I don't care much beyond that.

I'm also into Anglo-Saxon minors now. Just a few pieces so far, but they are glorious to behold. Greg Margulies really wants me to get them all slabbed, but I'm resistant so far. I can hold my stycas, sceattas and deniers in my hands. I can actually touch them. Gee, imagine that!

I'm a coin nerd. Always have been, always will be. While I am also very competitive, I will never again mistake the hobby with the points, slabs and stuff. They exist, I acknowledge them, but I hope never to allow them to rule MY hobby.

Btw, my registry method nowadays is called MS Excel. :)

EVP