• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 possible coin series, S minted, another reverse proof, whats next?

11 posts in this topic

"2012-S Uncirculated Silver Eagle Planned, Additional Special Set Possible

January 23, 2012 By Michael Zielinski 18 Comments

The United States Mint plans to expand the number of numismatic product offerings for the American Silver Eagle in 2012. This will include an uncirculated version of the coin struck at the San Francisco Mint and potentially two other collector coins only available within a special set.

The American Silver Eagle was introduced in 1986, with the bullion version available through a network of authorized purchasers and collectible versions sold directly by the United States Mint. Initially, the Mint offered a single collectible proof version of the Silver Eagle as a recurring numismatic product. The standard proof coins carried the “S” mint mark from 1986 to 1992, the “P” mint mark from 1993 to 1999, and the “W” mint mark from 2000 to present.

An additional recurring numismatic version of the Silver Eagle was introduced in 2006. Referred to as collectible uncirculated versions, these coins were struck on specially burnished blanks and minted at the West Point Mint with the “W” mint mark. The coins have been sold individually and included in certain collector sets each year from 2006 to 2008, with the offering resumed in 2011.

Besides these two recurring numismatic products, the US Mint has periodically offered special anniversary sets to mark important milestones in the series. These sets have included one or more coins unique to the sets.

Within the US Mint’s 2011 annual report, the Deputy Director of the United States Mint revealed the Mint’s plans to offer a collectible uncirculated version of the Silver Eagle from the San Francisco Mint with the “S” mint mark for 2012. Last year, the US Mint had offered an uncirculated Silver Eagle with “S” mint mark only within the 25th Anniversary Set. The mention of the 2012-S Uncirculated Silver Eagle within the annual report seems to position the coin as a new recurring product offering, in addition to the collectible uncirculated version of the coin with the “W” mint mark and the proof version with the “W” mint mark.

Additional potential numismatic American Silver Eagles were revealed within a survey recently conducted on behalf of the United States Mint. The survey indicated that the Mint may consider offering a special 2012 American Silver Eagle Set, containing two coins only available within the set. According to information provided in the survey, the set would include a San Francisco proof coin with the “S” mint mark and a reverse proof coin with the “S” mint mark. The planned production level for the sets would be 200,000, with a household limit of two, and price of approximately $125. These sets would become another recurring annual offering with the next installment available in 2013.

The offering of the special two coin set still seems tentative, with subsequent survey questions asking preferences about other types of coins that could be included in the set. Options included uncirculated Silver Eagles with a special mint mark (“S” or “D”), proof Silver Eagles with a special mint mark (“S” or “D”), an ultra high relief version, reverse proof version, or proof and uncirculated versions carrying their customary mint marks."

Whats next, W mint marked proof coins?

It is getting hard to afford even just one of each coin each year!

Have a great weekend, Matt

I quit buying anything from the Mint 4 years ago. It's gotten out of hand. Now, you have to have deep pockets just to collect all of their regular issues.

Chris

I quit buying anything from the Mint 4 years ago. It's gotten out of hand. Now, you have to have deep pockets just to collect all of their regular issues.

Chris

Agreed. I've stopped buying products directly from the mint as well and haven't purchased one for a few years now (if my memory serves me correctly).

I will continue to collect the Silver Eagle Proofs as I have done since 1986.

I'll have to get a few more NGC silver slab containers though :cry:

OP

Adoption of an eagle "privy mark" was intended to permit greater design flexibility while complying with legal requirement for an eagle on the reverse of silver dollars, etc.

(Compare with the chicken nugget on the Franklin half.)

Whats next, W mint marked proof coins?

Next?? We've already had those.

But there are still a lot of possibilities, We haven't had a D mint proof yet, or a P or D mintmarked Unc, or a D,S, or W mintmarked reverse proof.

I'm actually loving all the crazy stuff that has gone on with Silver Eagles over the years. It makes a really interesting collection.

Interesting, yes. Hard to afford and keep up with, heck yes!

Its like the 14 labels they have this year all for the same coins.

It gets a little crazy in my opinion but what they hey, it beats 2009.

The W proof is unique and so it carries a huge premium to the other coins in the series so what i was trying to say was if they make them again, and each year like they plan to do (according to the news release) with the reverse proof, the S minted coin again, it takes some of the challenge/fun out of getting a hold of one. At least it does for me.

It is just not the same thrill for me to get a coin that has almost 40 million made this past year as it does trying to find, and afford, the reverse proof and the S minted uncirculated coins.

I really enjoyed trying to find the 25th anniversary coins this past year compared to buying the bullion coin.

I was very frustrated not getting thru to the mint to buy a set directly, but in the same breath, i had a blast trying to find a set for a reasonable price.

Its the thrill of the hunt that gets and keeps my interest, not the actual coin in hand a year or two later. :frustrated:

Take care everyone, Matt

The mint is headed down the same path as the Post Office Department. Back in the 1960s the agency put out so many stamps that collectors finally got tired of all the foolishness and stopped buying. Since the stamps were cheep, only a few cents each, expense was only a minor issue. The big issue was that collectors ceased to care about all of the trivial topics that the overload of new stamp issues covered.

Now we are a seeing the U.S. mint do the same thing. Yes, I know that Congress mandates much of this stuff, but the concept is still correct. The mint is producing so much stuff that collectors are getting overloaded and tired of it. There are so many new issues that collectors can’t afford to keep up them, and for many of us, we have ceased to care very much.

Back in the old days (prior to 1982) there were so few new coins, that each one was a major event. Now there are so many new coins and products, that the thrill is gone. Why can’t we find a place in the middle? The answer is that government greed has reached a point where it’s like the farmer who killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. Too much a good thing is destroying the system.

The US Mint is getting more like the Canadian Mint, TOO much product, I have already ceased buying anything from the Mint, Most of their issues become cheaper over time, especially when you consider inflation, and those few issues that increase in value are not worth the hassle to purchase.

Later,

Malcolm

My suggestion to the mint was to first update their computer system so it can handle orders without crashing as well as their phone system. Second if they issue another 2012 Anniv. set, it should be a series two set so it will not take value away from the original 100,000 set's issued and make it one/house. Finally, keep the numbers low, 75,000 would be good. If this can't be accomplished, then go to a lottery. Use your birth year as the entry and pull the years like they did in the draft when Nixon was the President. No one would be left out this way.