• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New Cheerios Dollar posted by Alan Lastufka

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Fewer than 100 examples in the numismatic marketplace (both NGC and PCGS combined) make this one of the harder finds for the 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins set. And I think it's awesome.

In 2000 the Mint wanted to show off their new "golden" dollar, so they minted 5,500 examples to be included in random Cheerios cereal boxes. These 5,500 examples used a different reverse from what ended up on all the other Sacagawea dollars minted in that and all future years.

Note the tail feathers. They are super detailed compared to all the other strikes where the tail feathers are flat with no details. I included a close-up below, but you can see it better in my registry set.

The dealer I bought this from had it listed on their website and eBay for over twice what I thought it was worth / wanted to pay for it. So I contacted the dealer directly and negotiated a price we could both be happy with, less than half of their original listed price, but fair based on previous realized auction prices.

I've also included the Cheerios cent that was included in every Cheerios box while the promotion was running.

Happy collecting!

10397.jpg

See more journals by Alan Lastufka