• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 Flowing Hair

19 posts in this topic

The reverse barely makes F12 but the obverse looks VF20. The eye appeal is high and the surfaces look good too. Seems to be a planchet flaw through the eagle on the reverse.

I would expect to see it in VF20 holder also - unless there is something we can't see. VF25 wouldn't surprise me either. Looks like a really nice example of an early dollar.

It is one of the most beautiful Flowing Hair's I've seen in a long time. I'd call it F+, but I don't think the reverse is strong enough for VF. This is exactly the type of coin I would want in my collection.

For me, it is a VG-10. The obverse is a "shielded hair" die variety, which means it will always have more hair details than the rest of the obverse, making it seem a little higher grade than it truly is.

Unless the images hide hairlines and/or PVC, it will grade with no problem.

Very cool coin. I had remembered following one of these 106's before...then found it

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=131131&lotNo=25005

I think yours should grade F-15, or at worse F-12

Here is one graded VF-25

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=390&lotNo=22485

Good luck with the grading. Looks like potentially original surfaces from those pics...

Well the result came in today and the coin did receive a numerical grade. It came in at a 0-106 F12 not really disappointed, but when comparing to the few others that have come up at auction I thought it would get a F15 knew it would not get a VF. Overall very happy with the outcome.

F-15 is an unusual grade. You don't see that too often, for some reason - hence, I am not surprised that it got F-12. This is a superb coin either way, and you don't need some plastic to tell you that.

It was graded by NGC...I sent a few pieces to get graded, and since I've been out of the hobby for a while I really was sure what to expect. A couple of the others items received the details grade one of which surprised me because I thought it was definitely original. This is only the 7th O-106 to be graded by NGC a R-6 rarity in the overton book. Thanks for looking.

Well the result came in today and the coin did receive a numerical grade. It came in at a 0-106 F12 not really disappointed, but when comparing to the few others that have come up at auction I thought it would get a F15 knew it would not get a VF. Overall very happy with the outcome.

I guessed VG-10, but really can't complain about F-12. As I stated in that previous post, these tend to get a little less conservatively graded, because that "shielded hair" makes the coin seem sharper than it technically may be.

Great coin, and definitely a keeper!