• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944-D steel cent almost sold as worthless trinket to dealer...........

9 posts in this topic

The photos are crumby in the article, but the coin doesn't look mint state to me. It looks like an AU. Nevertheless, I am very happy for this woman. It is nice to know that there are smart sellers in this world who inherit things and know to ask for a second opinion.

Even in the article it mentions that the coin does show evidence of circulation so it should probably be an AU at best. They also say the weight at 2.9 grams is within tolerance but that is not correct. It is out of tolerance on the high side. Steel cent planchets were made to two standards 2.5 and 2.7 grams with a .1 gram +/- tolerance so high end tolerance for the heavy standard planchets would be 2.8 grams

Even in the article it mentions that the coin does show evidence of circulation so it should probably be an AU at best. They also say the weight at 2.9 grams is within tolerance but that is not correct. It is out of tolerance on the high side. Steel cent planchets were made to two standards 2.5 and 2.7 grams with a .1 gram +/- tolerance so high end tolerance for the heavy standard planchets would be 2.8 grams

Perhaps the planchet was a "reject" and in a reject bin prior to the bin being reloaded with copper planchets. So is within standards really a valid authenticity criteria for an error of this nature?

I wasn't intending to use the off tolerance weight as a criticism of authenticity, just as a correction of an error in the article.

The way the article was written in general was not particularly clear in several aspects. Along your correction point, why would they even mention the weight of the coin at all (since from my comment above it does not seem particularly relevant)?