• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 Half

8 posts in this topic

As I mentioned before, I inherited my grandmothers boxes of coins... I am still sorting. I came across a old glass jar with 52 walker halves and started sorting through them. Most of them are in the shape shown below and this is one of the few with any kind of toning. It's mostly a dark toning which in reading the threads seems to be a turn off to at least a few folks...They all seem to like this one a VG to VF grade. A couple are G's at best.... So the question is: Are any of them worth keeping for anything more than melt value? Any thoughts? Thanks

1155524_orig.jpg8562987_orig.jpg

For coins before 1934, there is a significant chance that they could be worth more than melt value, particularly if they are higher circulated grades. These must be examined on a one by one basis and I suggest that you consult a price guide such as the NGC/Numismedia or the Redbook. As a general rule, I would multiply the prices there by 80% to arrive at a safe number at what you could probably expect (to determine if it is worth your time). Most coins after 1934 have no significant premium over melt value in grades of VF or lower. Some of the branch mint coins (D and S) do carry premiums in grades of XF or higher. One exception to this rule is the 1938-D which is worth pulling in all grades.

Thanks for the information Kenny. I will see exactly what's what in the pile and let you guys know what I find. However first, my wife just told me it's Chinese food night and I get to go fetch.....

Most coins after 1934 have no significant premium over melt value in grades of VF or lower.

That's probably more true than not. Don't you hate the idea of sending the others off to the smelter, though? I mean, it's like an animal shelter putting down abandoned pets. Maybe I'm taking this hobby too seriously. :sick:

Most coins after 1934 have no significant premium over melt value in grades of VF or lower.

That's probably more true than not. Don't you hate the idea of sending the others off to the smelter, though? I mean, it's like an animal shelter putting down abandoned pets. Maybe I'm taking this hobby too seriously. :sick:

In all honesty, he'll probably sell them on Ebay to a collector who will keep them in a private hoard or collection. I don't think VF coins are going to be doomed to the smelter, although there are certainly a lot of damaged and cleaned coins (not his necessarily) that I wouldn't mind seeing going to the smelter. I hope the spike in the silver market over the last year or so will cause a lot of dreck to be removed permanently from the market. To follow your analogy, it is time to put terminally "ill" or "sick" coins down for good.

lol....yeah, I will probably dump some of the G an VF 40s one on eBay....I could smelt some of the worst ones, and maybe that's where they will end up, but I wont be the one to send them there.

lol....yeah, I will probably dump some of the G an VF 40s one on eBay....I could smelt some of the worst ones, and maybe that's where they will end up, but I wont be the one to send them there.

At least you'll have a clear conscience. lol