• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection Manager Valuation

4 posts in this topic

The new collection manager is a great tool for collectors to use but I have come across a problem in finding values for my coins in details holders. It doesn't list a price, though I know some coins that are determined to be improperly cleaned still may be valuable.

For example a 1911-d 2 1/2 $ Indian in an AU details holder if its improperly cleaned is listed as not having a value.

Can you recommend how to determine a value for a coin that NGC has determined to be improperly cleaned?

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately it can be very difficult to value Details Graded coins and therefore the NGC Coin Price Guide does not provide estimates. Since improper cleaning can vary, the value is really in the eye of the beholder. I would suggest looking at auction records, such as those available through NGC Auction Central to paid Collectors Society members. You'll see the prices realized for other Details Graded coins and can use these to better estimate the value of the coin in your collection.

Hey Max, if we put in an estimated value, can we have those show up when we view our own registry sets or collection manager back-end instead of the "no price"? Sometimes I want to get a quick estimated value of a particular registry set, but full torches, mint errors, pops of one, etc usually don't have prices and it throws off the total calculation of the set, making it difficult to value without me creating a duplicate collection management sheet in Excel or Google Docs.

• Administrator

Alan,

That's a great suggestion. I've forwarded it to one of our programmers so that he can look into how difficult this would be for us to implement.