• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My PROOF Silver EAGLES - Will there be Milk Spots That is the question!

17 posts in this topic

Have not looked at them in 2 Years ....

Please NO SPots !!!

Are these Warrantied through NGC if it happened in the holder ???

Are these Warrantied through PCGS if it happened in the holder ???

28 coins ... 2011's are new so ........ (shrug)

I have lost interest in this set also and will probably be the next to go.

Probably will have to separate it cause no one wants to by sets - especially this one WITH the 1995w.

Quality control before unloading :) (Kinda SPAM)

Good for you Jaimie

Smart Jason. :)

They are in those Special Intercept shield boxes so ... wish me luck :)

Will Find out tonight ..

I fogot these are in the the double boxed intercept

shield boxes

Starting with my Wedding year 1986 .... and ONWARD !

120448.jpg.7abf4ada65070070fc39a7bea8e117f2.jpg

The 70's will get you either new coins or a buyback. I sent some 69's and 70's to NGC and they took care of the 70's but said the 69's were "acceptable for the grade"

PCGS has the same guarantee but I have never sent any there for grade review

I fogot these are in the the double boxed intercept

shield boxes

Starting with my Wedding year 1986 .... and ONWARD !

First off Congrats! on your 25th Anniv. I too got married in 1986. Great year, still hitched. Cheers!

Kirk

P.S. Now to read the balance of this thread before I post my opinion on the OP.

OK. I've been buying Bullion, Proof and Special sets since 1986. The only coin missing from my set is the 10th year anniversary ASE that was only included in the 5-pc. Gold/Silver set. "Knock on wood" I have no milk spots on any of my coins, which represent 4 complete sets (sans 1995) and includes the 2008 Rev of 2007 along with both the 20th anniv set and 25th anniv set.

As a result of my own personal experience and having read dozens of threads RE: Milk Spots, I am of the opinion, that the combination of Plastic used by the TPGs and the "wash/rinse" employed by the Mint during planchet processing, ultimately led to the "milk-spot" phenomenon. A phenomenon which I believe is solely associated with TPG plastic. And perhaps includes a reaction of TPG plastic with a combination of humidity among regions of NA, but moreover influenced by the type of plastic that the TPGs use to slab their coin products.

Why else would my non-Slabbed coins stored in the mid-Atlantic region, humid states not have the dreaded milk spots, that slabbed coins have been plagued with?

There has been no true "cause" theorized, but I believe the chemicals used by the mint combined with TPG plastic will ultimately be the answer to the conundrum.

I'd love to hear from other collectors who do not use TPG slabs to store their ASEs.

Cheers!

Kirk

Gives me a reason to dump that PCGS coin for a spotless NGC :)

1 out of 28 is not bad though.

Thanks for the congrats I have a very patient women :)

Never heard of the PLASTIC being a cause of the spotting - I always thought it was post mint wash ...

After RE-seeing the set ... I have decided to keep it :)

For modern slabbed gold bullion, I've noticed PCGS gold tones while the NGC ones don't. My friend had a 70 set of 2008 buffs in NGC and PCGS. The pcgs started toning and he had to sell them at a loss because other collectors didn't think they were 70 anymore and did not want the toning

Never heard of the PLASTIC being a cause of the spotting - I always thought it was post mint wash ...

It is believed to be the mint wash, but as odd as it sounds there does seem to be something about the slabbing that causes the spots to manifest themselves.

We don't hear about a lot of milk spotted raw coins (Possibly because they are just bullion so no one pays close attention to them.) but there have been a LOT of stories of people slabbing unspotted pieces, even pieces that have been raw for years, which have then quickly developed the milkspots.

The final clearing and rinse of planchets by the mint is very thorough and there is routine testing of the rinse and planchets to make sure there are no contaminants.

A large portion of the milk spot problem apparently lies with the conditions under which the pieces are handled after they leave the mint's control. A couple of years ago, I provided one of the major TPGs with instructions for testing conditions at their facility, and for preventing milk spots. Their response was that they didn't have the time or money to do the testing. (Maybe they thought it was cheaper to pay for the damage than to correct the problem? MBA-Think has that fascinating “Orwellian” aspect to it….)

It is believed to be the mint wash, but as odd as it sounds there does seem to be something about the slabbing that causes the spots to manifest themselves.

We don't hear about a lot of milk spotted raw coins (Possibly because they are just bullion so no one pays close attention to them.) but there have been a LOT of stories of people slabbing unspotted pieces, even pieces that have been raw for years, which have then quickly developed the milkspots.

I'v had RAW and spotted Silver Eagles Conder. Of the 3 1993 unc coins I had, all were spotted to some degree. These had been stored in the proof airtites for years.

As a result of my own personal experience and having read dozens of threads RE: Milk Spots, I am of the opinion, that the combination of Plastic used by the TPGs and the "wash/rinse" employed by the Mint during planchet processing, ultimately led to the "milk-spot" phenomenon. A phenomenon which I believe is solely associated with TPG plastic. And perhaps includes a reaction of TPG plastic with a combination of humidity among regions of NA, but moreover influenced by the type of plastic that the TPGs use to slab their coin products.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion but I have seen first hand Silver Eagles which were spotted while being stored in the original mint tubes.

From a TPG standpoint and the grading of silver eagles, spotting has come to the forefront as a "grading" problem but it's certainly not the "product" of having the coins slabbed.

I am still on the side of the mint wash & handling ... which in either case Mint wash alone OR mint wash in plastic causes/d it. I am finding it curious the previous poster had bad 1993's also ... hmmm ...

I am in shock that the TPG's didn't take RWB's advice by having it as an extra sevice to guaranty no spots. hahahah It is about the money right ???

Anyway ... I had a way to CLEAN Mint state coins to rid them of spots but failed miserably on PROOF coinage.

So off to the bay this PCGS coin goes and replacing it with an NGC coin and back into the safe