• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now that this auction has closed...AT or NT?

18 posts in this topic

It looks MA to me...which means it could have had help but it looks close enough to others I have seen in holders that I am not surprised it made it into a PCGS holder...I wonder if that blue is that vibrant in hand hm

To me this coin does not look right, but obviously a couple people liked it more than they probably should:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1166&lotNo=11151&lotIdNo=290218

The toning looks backwards. Thoughts?

I agree. With apologies to my esteemed colleagues above, this looks like old-styled AT that was created by placing the coin on a low wattage light bulb and leaving it there for a long time. It does just that - create nice toning whose color is inverted in order. It also causes the odd little grey patches on the high points.

You can try this experiment with any number of cheap silver coins. Balance the coin on the light bulb and let the heat create AT over time. The problem is the heat affects the center of the coin and works outward, reversing the order of the color bands.

I don't agree. The color in the fields are different than the much of the colors on the devices at or near those fields. It's been told that is exceedingly hard to "fake".

That's not a perfect method of detection but it works for me. See Bob Campbell's video on AT....and he's more strict that I am.

As to the method of the light bulb. If it's a long-term method is it really AT? OK, here we go again on the "intent" issue but still....I intended to tone my Kennedy halves in a Dansco at one time...so they are AT?

jom

As to the method of the light bulb. If it's a long-term method is it really AT? OK, here we go again on the "intent" issue but still....I intended to tone my Kennedy halves in a Dansco at one time...so they are AT?

jom

No, jom. The difference between a light bulb and a Dansco is the album is intended for coin storage. It toned while being stored in accordance with accepted means. I don't know of anyone that stores their coins on a light bulb.

And I agree - the Bust half here looks quite attractive. Its MA at least, but I will defer to those who viewed it in hand. If Mark Feld says its good, I'll trust him.

No, jom. The difference between a light bulb and a Dansco is the album is intended for coin storage. It toned while being stored in accordance with accepted means. I don't know of anyone that stores their coins on a light bulb.

Yeah, I know...I just like to throw that in there...it's like stirring up a beehive. heh

jom

It's certainly market acceptable, and I think the toning is natural. I have seen those shades and progressions of blue on other Capped Bust Half Dollars including some that aren't quite as fully toned.

Yeah, I know...I just like to throw that in there...it's like stirring up a beehive. heh

jom

That's very unlike you, and is considered trolling. Stirring up trouble is not acceptable.I answered your post in good faith in an attempt to educate, and do not like being made the fool.

To me this coin does not look right, but obviously a couple people liked it more than they probably should:

I agree. With apologies to my esteemed colleagues above, this looks like old-styled AT that was created by placing the coin on a low wattage light bulb and leaving it there for a long time. It does just that - create nice toning whose color is inverted in order. It also causes the odd little grey patches on the high points.

You can try this experiment with any number of cheap silver coins. Balance the coin on the light bulb and let the heat create AT over time. The problem is the heat affects the center of the coin and works outward, reversing the order of the color bands.

Sounds like a great experiment for Noow when he gets back in a few weeks!

Nick

Sounds like a great experiment for Noow when he gets back in a few weeks!

Nick

Actually since James suggested the method, maybe he could do this experiment and report back the results?

Is there a link to Bob Campbell's video on AT?

Best, HT

jom

That's very unlike you, and is considered trolling. Stirring up trouble is not acceptable.I answered your post in good faith in an attempt to educate, and do not like being made the fool.

I guess we are both a bit surprised today because I find your response rather extreme. That could be just my fault so I'm sorry you took it that way. It was just a joke...or rather the part you quoted was....which for anyone that knows me should know it's rather common.

What I probably should have wrote was the fact that I find the AT debate WAY overblown most of the time. Sure you can say that no one stores a coin on a light bulb but you could store coins in LIGHT. At what point does one nitpick and say it isn't really a storage method. It's the same with the Dansco. What if I used a holder that was more saturated with sulfur and I did it on purpose? Would that be AT? Then there's the "buy what you like" argument. And so it goes.....

The previous paragraph was probably what I should have responded rather than the terse quote from above.

jom

If we had seen that same coin on Ebay, in a 2x2 and a title with L@@k in it, would we still be so sure?

I know I would have my second and third thoughts.

If we had seen that same coin on Ebay, in a 2x2 and a title with L@@k in it, would we still be so sure?

I know I would have my second and third thoughts.

That's a good question. Many coins have already been vetted (so to speak) and if the coin was on eBay your "second and third" thoughts probably came from the fact it was on eBay with a L@@k title not necessarily because of the toning.

jom

without having seen it in hand sight seen

my first reaction

MA to the services and most of the market

but not to me

i would love to eventually see this coin in hand