• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A caution about older coin books.

7 posts in this topic

If you happen to read a copy of "The Story of the United States Mint at Carson City, Nevada" by Howard Hickson and published by the Nevada State Museum in 1972, please do not depend on it for accuracy. The information is old and superficial in some aspects.

A collector on the PCGS board has gotten confused by this book and now says all Carson City coins were "cleaned."

This is one of many older publications that were "state of knowledge" in their time - but that time has passed.

Within the subject of numismatic history and mint practices, usually the most recently published book or article will have the most current research results.

(PS: The OP at PCGS indicates that he was not being serious and did not expect a literal approach....That's OK, done the same thing myself many times.... However, the comment about depending on old books or articles for good information remains appropriate.)

If you happen to read a copy of "The Story of the United States Mint at Carson City, Nevada" by Howard Hickson and published by the Nevada State Museum in 1972, please do not depend on it for accuracy. The information is old and superficial in some aspects.

A collector on the PCGS board has gotten confused by this book and now says all Carson City coins were "cleaned."

I looked over the CC collection at the Nevada State Museum in September of 1999, and most of the coins in the collection did indeed look cleaned. :o

The ATS OP was trying to say that all coins minted at Carson City were cleaned before release.

Actually, as I believe he said later in the thread, he was quoting the book in a joking manner to make the same point that Roger has, which is, be cautious about what you read in numismatic books, especially older ones.

When old people read old books, the information automatically cancels its self, so now I never have to worry....what were we talking about anyway?