• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1910 $10 Gold Indian

17 posts in this topic

Happy New Year.

Here is a "family heirloom" which has been passed down throught the generations that I wanted to share . Originally given as a gift to my great great aunt and passed to grandma and mom. Although housed in a bezel, I know grandma and mom never had it out of the bank box. From the look, I doubt my aunt did either.

It is thought this was a gift given to my aunt in the 20's (maybe earlier). She lived in Denver (fitting the Denver mint)

I have not taken the screw type bezel off and do not plan to so the rim surface is an unknown. Not real knowledgable when it come to gold but thought some of you could comment on what is seen. As a Morgan Collector, I am use to seeing bag marks and other issues common with silver. From what I can see, this coin has virtually none. Thanks for your comments.

Chet

119731.jpg.ba0a506ee35c999aaa544438e6a767e0.jpg

119732.jpg.80fdf3ac912737f8181f7f9d89b13f1d.jpg

Doesn't look like it has any bag marks but the obverse looks like it could have some hairlining. The surface looks odd as well.

The reverse has a lot of luster but I'd bet there's rub everywhere...I mean being in a piece of jewelery and all.

It's just hard to judge by the photo but being that it's a 10-D it probably was made well to begin with (hence the luster) so I'd guess AU55 or so. (shrug)

jom

Assuming that the bezel has not hurt the rims, it looks like an AU-58 to me. Pieces like this sometimes find their way into low end Mint State holders.

WOW Coin!!!

I vote it's at least MS66.

You were able to determine this grade from those pics?

I see a rub across the face and obverse fields. That takes it out of Mint State, let alone MS-66 territory.

Here is a $10 that NGC graded MS-66.

1908MottoEagleO.jpg1908MottoEagleR.jpg

indians are so difficult to grade.

Actually they aren't...not the $10 at least. You just have to look at a lot of them just like every other coin series. They are as easy as Morgan's IMO...they are really kind of the same. Liberty head bust with eagle on back.

Then again trying to grade with a photo has it's own problems...just like every other coins series. :)

jom

Actually they aren't...not the $10 at least. You just have to look at a lot of them just like every other coin series. They are as easy as Morgan's IMO...they are really kind of the same. Liberty head bust with eagle on back.

Then again trying to grade with a photo has it's own problems...just like every other coins series. :)

jom

The $5's and $10's aren't bad. Trying to grade the $2.50's, with their incuse design, is next to impossible in my opinion.

jom

The $5's and $10's aren't bad. Trying to grade the $2.50's, with their incuse design, is next to impossible in my opinion.

The Indian $2 1/2 and $5 are both incused and are both more difficult to grade than the more conventional coins with a raised design.

Yeah, the $5 Indians are worse actually. The problem being they weren't very well made to begin with. Then there is the incuse issue which makes for difficulty when trying to decide whether the coin is mint state.

The $2.5s are actually much better made especially at the end of the series in the 20s.

But the incuse design in either case creates a problem with both the aforementioned "is it MS?" issue and the amount of luster. Luster breaks on these coins are just hard to see...it's a real PITA. :)

jom

Yeah, the $5 Indians are worse actually. The problem being they weren't very well made to begin with. Then there is the incuse issue which makes for difficulty when trying to decide whether the coin is mint state.

The $2.5s are actually much better made especially at the end of the series in the 20s.

But the incuse design in either case creates a problem with both the aforementioned "is it MS?" issue and the amount of luster. Luster breaks on these coins are just hard to see...it's a real PITA. :)

jom

The biggest problem is the $2 1/2 and $5 Indian incused design doesn't have a raised rim like all the other coins U. S. coins so the fields on these coins are unprotected and there will be rub in the fields on even Mint State coins in this series.

My mistake. I was thinking it's "can you spare a grade" section.

This peace is high AU - MS?? based on pics. I like the coin anyways!

WOW Coin!!!

I vote it's at least MS66.

You were able to determine this grade from those pics?

Thanks for the comments.

Never seeing a MS $10.00 Indian in hand which I took a good look at, I just did not know what I had. Only having a 4x loup, I thought I would see some hairlines or bagmarks (like Morgans) which I found only a few on the reverse. Did not know how much detail is seen in MS condition. The slight usage must have rubbed off the standard marks seen in MS.

As for the surface, a very slight toning ring is seen around the obverse rim (just past the stars) and in the field in front of the devise. Surfaces (field and devises)certainly not glassy smooth and have a very slight grainy look to them. A good family treasure. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chet