• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indian Head Quarter Eagle

12 posts in this topic

I picked up this Indian Head Quarter Eagle a few months back. I am pretty unsure of myself when it comes to trying to grade incused coinage...It looks good to me, but would one or more of you more experienced folks mind giving me your opinion?

Thanks,

3091494_orig.jpg2454210_orig.jpg

Yeah, sorry guys....it is a scanned image, but that's the only way I have of digitizing at the moment....the digital camera went ka-put.

Maybe I can get a new camera this weekend and try again.

Thanks for looking though.

That looks like a scanned image which I am sure is hiding a lot.

Based on what I see – AU 55 .

+1 and I wouldn't be surprised if the coin had altered surfaces, but that is a complete guess based on the lack of more revealing/accurate photographs. Many of the raw pieces that I have seen have problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if the images are hiding a few.

It's hard to grade the coin from that image because I can't see any mint luster. The lack of detail on the top of the eagle's wing says "AU" to me right away. The lack of luster could knock it down lower, if it has the surfaces shown in that image.

Here is a piece that shows some mint luster in the photo to give you an idea of what I mean here.

1929O.jpg1929R.jpg

Since the coin in question is a 1912 I'd agree with Bill, AU5X depending on luster.

If this had been a 1908 there is lack of detail on the eagles wing in the SAME place wear appears...making it even more difficult to grade.

What did you pay for the coin?

jom