• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question for you toner fans posted by cemonice

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I will post a pic when I get home from work....

Question: does splotchiness automatically mean AT?

One more: is it possible that a Coin be AT if it is in a respected TPG slab?

I picked up a NGC ms65, 1899-O Morgan dollar. It has some very nice toning, IMO but it has some splotching which drew some red flags for me. I paid FMV for a normal ms65 1899-O Morgan which is another reason I think its AT.

I will have picture up in about 2 hours from now

See more journals by cemonice

Splotching? doesn't always mean AT. It could be textile toning, fingerprints, etc...And yes, there can be an AT coin in a respectable slab. Most of times this is just considered Market Acceptable toning.

Splotchiness in the toning is not a good indicator of AT. And yes, there are some AT coins that reside in both PCGS and NGC holders. There are two reasons to AT a coin. First is to hide flaws thereby increasing the grade fo the coin. The toning on your coin does not do that. Second is to improve the eye appeal of the coin so that it will drive a premium price over an untoned coin. By your own admission, you did not pay a premium. Therefore if your coin is AT, the coin doc failed miserably. This is not a bag toned Morgan. Perhaps it resided in an album at some point. No matter how the toning arrived on the coin, the toning pattern is unusual and is really not that attractive by Morgan Dollar standards.

The best indicators of NT/AT are correct color progressions, accepted toning patterns for the series, and toning correspondence for coins with toning on both sides. In the end, nobody can definitively determine whether a coin is AT or NT. We can only conclude that the toning is either market acceptable MA or not. In the case of your coin, NGC decided that the toning was MA and graded the coin. I happen to agree with their assessment even though the spotting on the reverse seems unusual to me.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that you got a toned Morgan without paying a premium. There are so many incredibly toned common date Morgan Dollars that one like yours that is not really that attractive will not often drive a price premium. Having said that, my advice when purchasing toned Morgan Dollars is never to buy one when you have any doubt about the originality of the toning, surfaces, or anything else. They are so common that you can always find another one without even expending much energy. Be patient, be selective, and don't settle when buying toned Morgan Dollars.

If you are serious about wanting to learn about rainbow toning, these three articles linked below will be a very good start.

Monster Rainbow Toned Morgan Dollars

A Color Chart for the Thin Film Color Progression

WYNTK: The Science of Toning

Paul (Lehigh96) gave some very good advice and info. He knows toner Morgans better than most. I like the coin myself. I agree with Paul that this was probably caused by the way it was stored. If the reverse is lighter than the pics show, then I like it even more. I really love the Die crack on the Reverse.

nice coin-does not appear to be AT....you might want ncs to treat it, and then get it encapsulated ,so as to stop the progression to black....

I believe that the only thing NCS could do for it would be to remove the toning completely. The coin in the OP is already encapsulated in a NGC slab so there would be no benefit to submitting it to NCS other than to make the front and back look white again.

Lehigh96

Thanks for posting those helpful links. As someone who likes to collect toners I found your links very interesting, informative, and fascinating. Best wishes on your Jefferson toners, I love the silver short set you put together. I like the 45-S the best.

Nick

Your toner is interesting and how those spots that almost look like evaporated droplets got on your coin is certainly a mystery. I would keep the coin just as it is. You may want to experiment with photograhy a little to get the best colors out of your coin. In the past I have used the flash on my camera with good results. At the very minimum you will need a strong light to get the best results.

Gary